nine

| premonition (n): a strong feeling that something is about to happen, especially something unpleasant |

MERCY READ THE werewolf books for an entire day after her run-in with Noah's parents. She and Hope were still at Mary's cabin seeing as their parents were throwing a big party in the French Quarter. Hope had asked Mercy if she wanted to play outside, which was surprising, but the girl had declined, trying to read the heavy books as quickly as possible.

There was just something about Caesar and Lucy Day that rubbed her the wrong way.

She tried not to think about them as she read the books. She trusted Noah, and although the relationship between them was rocky, they were still his parents, and she knew that it must be startling to suddenly have them back in his life again. Obviously Caesar and Lucy would act a little strangely when reuniting with their son, but she almost felt as if they were pushing it, making it seem as if they were good when a feeling deep down told Mercy to be wary of them. She wasn't sure this feeling was well-deserved until she spoke with her ancestors through the night.

They had spoken of people who had gone astray, and Akela had informed Mercy that no matter the situation, Caesar and Lucy Day were still werewolves, and therefore, under Mercy's circle of protection. The little girl in question didn't quite understand it, but she tried her best to ignore the queasy feeling.

Now, she was reading. When reading the first book in the trilogy, she learned the essentials: why it was important to protect the wolves, what their history and ancestry meant, how it was possible that werewolves were created. It felt more like a history lesson than anything. As she continued though, the book began telling her of spells that only she could perform, being one of the only two werewolves capable of magic. She studied the spells thoroughly, and despite Mary telling her that her parents would come to pick up their children soon, Mercy still read, engrossed in the book.

She had packed her things quickly before returning to the reading on her bed. She was trying to understand the duty and responsibility that had been laid upon her. She still wasn't completely sure of what certain spells did, but others she was ready to try out this instant. Before she could experiment with them, there was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Come in," Mercy said politely, and her Grandma Mary peeked her head in, sending a look to the younger twin that was difficult to decipher.

"That boy's come around again," she began, but at Mercy's confused look, the older woman smiled before continuing. "It's Noah. He's askin' for you."

Immediately, Mercy jumped from her bed, rushing to where the front door was. The young girl made sure her grandma was out of view before opening the door up to the young boy.