The Look

CHAPTER ONE

K w o n  J i y o n g

     There are things that I need to accomplish in my adulthood despite my rough childhood. I stood tall to raise myself. My father was alcoholic and spent his entire life escaping prison. I wasn't actually close to Seunghyun hyung, he worked his ass off searching for a stable job to live his teenage years while I was studying. Sometimes, in my college year, he would be unsurprisingly go missing which I didn't care about the point until it disturbed me to know that he is not coming home.

     He was my father's favourite son; blessed with the looks, the body and even with talents while I got absolutely nothing. Seunghyun hyung got his bad habits from our father when he reached adulthood that resulted into the downfall of his art and design career. I have always admired him growing up but Seunghyun hyung tried his best to be my role model.

     My mom just passed away 2 months ago because I can't pay the hospital bills and kept waiting for my brother to come back with his promised money to save our mother alive but he never showed up and let the debt ate my mom. I bet Seunghyun hyung doesn't even know that we lost her. Right now, I thought I was staying with my aunt for a while but I'm afraid to say that I'm gonna live here with her crazy borders forever. It was a sense of relief that I'm near where I am working as a call center agent. I did not end up a journalist like I've always wanted to because I never graduated due to financial problems.

 *knocks* *knocks*

     I was finally revived from my senses and quit munching my sandwich. I peeked right above my workspace and see Lin, my co-worker grinning at me. Such a stupid face to look at. I just casually roll my eyes away.

"Hey! Why the long face, Ji?" Lin asks, facing my direction.

"Ugh! It's nothing, Lin! why can't you just go back at your desk?"

     Lin adjusted her big glasses, "Mr. Youngbae wants to meet you at his office tonight."

"Like right now? But I have so much work to do!" I groaned, slamming my forehead onto the tall pile of papers.

"Yes, Ji. I guessed it's about firing you." She jokes, pulling my arm off the chair.

"Ugghhh! I''m not working to hear such jokes, Lin." My face turned flat

"Then tell that to Mr. Youngbae. And could you please stop whimpering like you lost a candy?"

     The senior manager's office is at the highest floor in the building as far as I can remember. Today is my second time visiting the huge room and it might took us over a minute or two in the elevator, and it feels like it's getting forever to get there having someone looking like fool and assuming the meeting has like romance in it.

"Stop it, Lin." I talked, annoyed.

"Stop what?"

     We both knew that she's over reacting and fidgets a lot in place looking high in sugar but I'm the only one who knows that I'm done with the face she's making.

"aAAHH we're finally here, Ji." Lin jumped in an exciteful manner.

"Lin, can you please collect yourself? I don't even understand why you came along this way." I grimaced and pulled my arm.

     Her faced copied mine and as soon as the guard opened the door for us, things brightened up in our looks.

"Good evening Mr. Kwon and Ms. Park, please make yourselves comfortable. The senior manager will be on his way.  Thank you." The old man instructed with his one eye closed.