05 | PARIS: THE UNEXPECTED

JOYCE

I should've packed an aspirin for the trip. On contrary, I hadn't thought my night would turn out the way it had. All the alcohol and the beat of the music had left me with a heavy headache.

I pulled myself up from the bed and looked around, trying to sniff through my jammed nose, as memories of last night knocked on me. Vincent Brown. The bite. The sex.

I glanced to the side of the bed, which was empty. It didn't surprise me, since I was the one who had wanted him gone soon after the sex, but it made me a little upset. I had wanted to get him out of my system, but hadn't thought of the possibilities of him playing with my mind even after.

The red dress I wore to the club lay on the edge of the bed while my bra and panties clung to my body, untouched. My brain had no recollection of what had happened last night after coming to my room, but the sensations of Vincent's subtle touches and the warmth of his kisses still lingered on my neck and lips.

I wanted to remember every little detail, but, at the same time, I didn't. This was all horrifying for me. He was the first man in six years whom I had allowed to touch me, whose hands on my skin hadn't bothered me at all.

Had my fear of being touched faded? Or was it just Vincent?

I walked into the shower, my head still throbbing. My mind kept drifting back to Vincent's eyes and smile. He was something. No wonder women couldn't resist his charms.

Wrapping the only towel left in the cabinet around my body, I went back into the room. There were no extra towels. Good, I needed towels and some Advil. As soon as I picked the cell up to call for room service, a voice coughed behind me, making me jump out of my skin. I whirled around in my usual defensive position-my hands fisted and crossed over my chest.

Those agonisingly beautiful eyes. That devilish smile. Standing in the room with me was Vincent Brown in a white T-shirt and black trousers, his hair gelled to the side.

"How did you get in?" I drawled, "Unless you never left."

"Oh, I did leave. I went home, got changed and came back. The cleaning staff saw me last night and with a generous tip, they let me in." He held some towels out to me and said, "Here're your towels and some Advil for the headache."

My eyes narrowed at the bottle in his hand. "How did you know I needed meds?"

"Um, because you weren't the only one drinking at the club last night." He shook the bottle. "I always carry a stash of much-needed meds for emergencies."

"Suddenly you sound like an old man."

I looked down at my body only wrapped in a bloody towel and my eyes widened. I hovered toward him, snatched the towels from him and pulled my trolley bag into the bathroom with me.

"Why are you still here, V?" I asked, through the closed door, curious as to why he was still in my freaking room.

"I know we made a no-fraternising pact but you never told me I had to leave at the break of dawn."

"But it doesn't explain why you're back." I tried not to sound sanctimonious.

"Well, I remember you saying the work you were here for is done and I was wondering how long you'll be in Paris."

"Till tomorrow afternoon."

"Then, we're both in luck." I snickered at his words while applying foundation in front of the mirror. He went on, "Since we have an entire day, why not we tour this city together? Only if you're willing, that is."