Chapter 3

It was almost closing time when he came in.

Amelia had been cleaning up a recently vacated table her hands were loaded down with dishes and she was dog tired; too tired to deal with another customer this close to closing.

Amelia was the only waitress still at the restaurant.

Tasked with closing by Tony she would be the last one out the door and it was her responsibility to clean the tables, mop the floors, and refill all the salt and pepper shakers.

She was just cleaning up her last table and preparing to flip the sign on the door to closed when he came walking in.

He caught her off guard and she nearly dropped the armload of dirty dishes she was carrying when she saw him standing in the doorway still glowering at her like dirt on his favorite biker boot.

"Okay buddy I don't know what your problem is but I am too tired to give a hoot right now." She mumbled under her breath.

As if he had heard her comment he quirked a brow and tilted his head a little to the right.

There was no way he could have heard her but there was a slight tilt to his lips that made him seem even scarier somehow and that lead her to believe that impossible or not he had indeed heard what she had said.

Rushing to the back to unload the dishes in her hands before she really did drop them she took this moment to escape from Quillon Monroe and his steely gaze.

Ernie looked up from cleaning the grill as she walked through the employee only door carrying the dishes to the empty sink.

Tossing them down on the counter by the sink Amelia took a deep breath to calm her nerves before looking at Ernie.

On his face was a questioning smile.

"Well sweets, seems to me somethings got you mighty worked up?" Ernie was a fifty-five-year-old widower whose one and only love died of cancer five years ago; he was a sweet man, a talented cook and a diehard romantic.

"Wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that strapping young man who just walked in would it?"

"Ernie, stop it." Amelia warned playfully, "I don't even know him."

Turning she placed the dishes in the sink and filled it with soapy water.

Afterward, she quickly washed her hands and dried them before giving Ernie a fake warning look and heading back out to her final customer of the night.

Walking out of the back she quickly hurried to the entrance door and flipped the open sign to closed.

She was going to prevent anymore last minute stranglers from entering.

Then she made her way over to the counter where her last customer sat.

Taking a deep soothing breath, she went to him with pen and paper in hand.

"Can I get you something to drink?" she asked; finally looking up and into his eyes.

Amelia felt her world tilt... his eyes were gorgeous and mercurial.

A weird greyish color they seemed to be staring into her soul looking for all her deeply leashed secrets.

"Coffee...black." his voice was deep with a sexy melodic tone that hinted at an accent.

British it seemed.

How did a guy whose father ran a biker club in Alabama have a son who sported a British accent?

"Okay." Amelia sat her pen and paper down on the counter between them before she turned to make her way over to the coffee maker.

Emptying out the old cold coffee she set about making a half of a pot just for him.