━ seven. two can play at this game

CHAPTER SEVEN:
- two can play at this game -
1977

"AH, MISS WINSTON, IT'S GOOD TO HAVE you back in the classroom!" exclaimed Professor Slughorn, "I hope you're doing well, my dear. Please, take your seat."

At the mention of the name Winston, James's head shot up from the notebook he'd been doodling in. A tired and rather annoyed looking Madeline nodded in greeting to her professor, mumbling a short reply back. She made her way to the back of the classroom, pausing for a split second upon seeing a smiling Potter waving her over.

     "Hey, Madeline!" James, the ever chirper, grinned at the Slytherin.

     "Potter," Madeline muttered in response. She dropped her things on the table with an exasperated sigh.

     Her hair hung messily down her shoulders in thick chunks instead of in its usual slicked-back ponytail. Her skin was paler than normal  and the frown lines coating her forehead were much more prominent (which, honest to Merlin, was saying a lot).

     Merlin, what swallowed Madeline and then spit her right back up? It— er— she most definitely wasn't a pretty sight.

     "Aren't you a beauty this morning," teased James.

Madeline glared at him, her eyes sunken and droopy. Surprisingly, she didn't look like she wanted to murder him. Hex? Yes. Punch? Most likely. But kill him? There was absolutely (okay, but not absolutely) no murder intent there! Progress? Ha! James knew saving her from those loser Gryffindors would win her over. What girl doesn't like being rescued?

"Something's different." James pretended to think. "Don't tell me, don't tell me—" he snapped his fingers— "It's the hair! You've done something with your hair haven't you?"

     Madeline ignored him, opting to take out some parchment paper and her textbook.

     "Y'know, some girls think guys don't notice things like that. You can always count on me, though." James flexed his bicep, jokingly. "A wise man once told me, it's the little things that count. That wise man is me, by the way."

    Madeline rolled her eyes but still said nothing.

"What, no smart ass comments today? I'm just joking around, y'know."

"I'm not even gonna waste my energy arguing," said Madeline, calmly.

     Finally, she speaks!

     James moved closer to the Slytherin, resting his head lazily against his hand. "Not even for me?"

Without warning, Madeline snatched the notebook in which James's arm had been laying on, causing him to face plant on the table resulting in a loud THUMP. The class turned towards the back to see a frowning James and a smirking Madeline. She side-eyed him, practically screaming: gotcha!

Madeline: 1
James: 0

"Is everything alright back there, Miss Winston? Mister Potter?"

"Of course Professor."

"Just dandy."