Chapter 4: Never forget nor forgive

A beautiful garden scene can be seen in the beautiful empire of Lua. A bright sunny day, a sky of deep blue tint only seen in the land of poesy and songs, the floods of golden sunlight pouring down on the flowers, on shrubs and vines, birds of bright plumage singing the most alluring songs; a day when life seems one long luxury and one long song.

A magnificent castle called the 'Cherry bloom' stood near the woods of Jecho in the midst of the beautiful country.

The evergreen trees of the woods formed a dark green background, the clear blue stream ran in front, a long pink terrace over which the vines trailed in luxuriant abundance led to a large garden and that garden sloped to the banks of the beautiful river.

It gleamed like an earthly paradise.

There was a variety of colours on every lovely line of the sky, trees and of flowers. There was every beauty of nature, but the fairest part of the picture was the regaled face of a young man who stood watching the rapid disappearance of the paper boat crafted by him down the river.

The well-chiseled face was of one seen in model's magazine and in dreams; handsome, rich in colour, full of poetry and passion and remarkable in one thing; that it is very handsome and young.

The face was of that of an angel but was filled with strong feelings and was not one that took one's thought to heaven. In summary, good-looking but sinister, full of goodness but devoid of any emotions.

A devil with a deceiving appearance.

"Quin!", He said and the man by that name appeared before him.

"When is Dur sending their tribute gift?".

"Your Majesty, according to the Intel I received, it should be by next month", the deep bass voice replied respectfully.

"I heard their princess is worth looking at, include her in the list", Emperor Thor said in his deep condemning voice. Quin scratched his head nervously and dared to interrupt his lord.

"My liege, with all due respect, I don't think King Goloth will agree to it... rumor has it that she's his most precious child... ", He said with a tinge of nervousness laced in his voice.

The dark eyes flashed with unutterable scorn, the regal head was thrown back proudly, a light mocking laughter came from his lips, beautiful enough to woo and win any lady without any attachment of his wealth or status.

"All the more reason I should possess her. Make preparations, I want to explore Dur nation in disguise".

Quin looked at his lord with a shocked expression, 'Why is he so obsessed with Dur nation?', he thought to himself.

"Yes my liege, it shall be done", he replied.

"Inform my army chief of staff, I want my empire well protected while I'm gone". Once again Quin answered in agreement then left to carry out the assignment after a short bow leaving him all alone.

A deep sigh came from his lips. The slightly visible smile vanished. He looked over the green trees and the deep clear river, a sigh of unutterable satisfaction came from his lips.

"How beautiful is my empire and how dearly I'm in love with it". Sadly, he looked at the locket bearing his mother's face.

"Mama, I promise to bring Dur nation to their knees. Those that mocked you shall pay with their lives". He clasped the locket shut and kissed it before wearing it round his neck.

Emperor Thor's mother was a lady of the wealthiest and noblest family in Dur. Once upon a time, she had dined with princes and princesses, nobles and servants alike had waited on her with the daintiest luxuries until one night of unfortunate incident, she lost everything in a fire. Those that had once benefited from her turned her into a ball of disgrace, kicking her from all directions.

Lady Ana his mother, who was the most beautiful woman, born to shine, to exact homage, to rule and to sway was doomed in life and condemned to death.

Her soul was on the verge of wearing away with bitter repining when his father found her almost dead in a rundown carriage. She whose smile the nobles of the land hung enraptured couldn't bear the brunt of suffering and soon pinned away in an unendurable ennui .

Becoming an empress had lifted her suffering but not the weariness of her soul. "All is vanity upon vanity", she always said. She died a few months ago but he would never forget the shadowed and mournful looks her face always carried. He will never forgive Dur for that.