Chapter 5: A dazzle too dizzy( Sola)

Emperor Thor hurried from his paradise to journey to Dur. Everything he needed had been prepared and Quin went with him.

They saw the white misty morning, the old dark pagoda by the riverside where one saw everything through a fog as it were, the dim yellow light that seemed to float on the air clung to the horses and illuminated the part.

All through the journey he uttered only one word, 'Faster' as he spurred his horse into a racing demon.

For 3 days, he rode consecutively allowing himself no respite, only for brief moments to allow the horses rest their hoofs. On the fourth night, he finally arrived though tired but was rewarding.

With Quin as his valet, a well decorated and clean room in a famous inn was rented, all his basic needs were provided and the deprived rest and sleep were done justice to.

The next day, he left to explore the city of Dur. Memories returned back to him in a strong surge of emotions as the sound of half-forgotten music in a dream. Summer and sunshine filled him with the magic of fragrant flowers and the charm laid on the lovely display of goods on the streets.

"Should I increase the list of tribute gift?... They look so rich", he said to Quin who quickly turned away with the intention of dodging the question. A sharp nudge shattered the last piece of defense he created, exposing him to the taunts and antics of his merciless master.

"My liege, this question is a little bit difficult for me to answer", he said with quivering lips.

"Ditch 'my liege', call me Thor", he said. "I need to review the lists, more things should be added". He continued leaving poor Quin bewildered. He swallowed the invisible lump in his throat before trailing after him.

"Yes my li...umm... Sir Thor". He couldn't bear to rudely call him by his first name although it's a command. Thor ignored him and continued on his journey.

Hearing coos and wows, Thor turned to see a tall, beautiful queenly vision, with rippling blonde hair and bright eyes. The lips were perfect as those of Aphrodite, goddess of love and face of Venus, the Greek goddess of beauty. Her smiles were seductive as those of an enchantress making him completely enamored.

He had seen beautiful women, pretty girls, handsome matrons but none was like her. She was unique and it seemed to him the sunshine was dazzling him, he felt giddy as though some strong perfume had passed over him. For a man of his character, it felt strange to have such strong effect on him.

"Oh_ my_ gosh!", Thor exclaimed.

"Who is that?", He asked completely smitten, heart pounding heavily and his bellow button knotting painfully.

"If the portrait I have is correct, she should be the princess of Dur, Sir Thor". Quin had doubted the authenticity of the portrait due to the enormous beauty surrounding her, but right now, he is too dumbfounded to know what to say.

At the digestion of the information, the enchantment seemed to lose it's hold on him as it was replaced with an angry gloom.

"No wonder she looked like a seductress". He huffed as he left for his room in the inn, all the charms losing it's effect on him.

An adventure that started out well ended up on a sad note. What depth of hatred does he have for Dur?. What level of enchantment could expunge it?. It seems the hatred is one buried deep under the sea and can never be excavated.

At nightfall, standing at the balcony of the inn, the tired eyes gazed over the sweeping face of the earth, while something of the calm of the moonlight came over the wearied heart. As he stood there with the wind wailing round the inn, there came to him no warning of the great and terrible tragedy that was to be worked out in his life.

"Why does she keep appearing in my thoughts?, Could I have fallen for her charms?... Impossible! She's a daughter of an enemy nation!". He shook his head vigorously as if to clear his head of impure thoughts which is a taboo for him.

The recollection of the day's event played in his mind. Her figure tall, dignified and full of grace tormented his mind. Her dress was of one fitting for a queen, so regal that no queen had ever carried her state robe with more dignity .

She looked like some great queen and had some similarity with his mother. She has the unmistaken air of a grand noble, a manner which no money can purchase, no art imitate; it only comes from the refinement of long generations .

"Thor Jasper Gotha ! Why are your thoughts wandering!". He kicked up an imaginary dirt and heaved a heavy breath.His thoughts has started scaring him that he would lose his resolution.

"Quin!"

"Yes my liege", Quin who had become one with the walls rushed out on his master's call .

"Tell Dur king, I want his daughter's name included in the list of tribute servants!"

"Yes my liege", he answered then left to pass the message. Eventhough, his master's command seemed irrational, one knew well to commit suicide than disobey his orders. A double-edged sword is handled with care for it can hurt it's bearer.

"You dare invade my thoughts?... I will you have you wash my toilets", he humphed, a sinister smile playing on his lips.