Rose-Colored Glasses

As Luben looked upward, he wished there were clouds in the Christmas Eve sky. If he had mentioned that to his family, they would write it off as a ludicrous wish.

There had been plenty of snow on (Bulgarian mountain) where they were vacationing in a large cabin. His wife, his parents, his brothers and their wives with all the nieces and nephews had traveled to what his father called "The best spot for a vacation in all of Bulgaria, especially after a fresh snowfall." But even his snow-loving father wouldn't wish any more inches of the white powder after the amount they had recently received and was thankful that the evening the sky was completely clear, as the stars gleamed brightly in the dark heavens.

Luben, however, remembered what his science teacher had taught him in grade school when he was just a boy in the town of (Bulgarian town) – that clouds acted as a barrier to keep in the heat. With a clear sky, it actually had the potential to be colder.

Luben had decided to take a walk in the frigid night air, despite his families' advising against it. To them, the absence of the sun and the presence of snow would make for a very uncomfortable walk. But Luben felt the urge to get outside. He loved spending time with his family, but the raucous holiday chatter and the heat of so many people in one room made him sweat uncomfortably. His mother tried to offer him more (Bulgarian holiday food), but he declined and excused himself.

As he made his way down a path on the mountainside, the only sound he heard was the crunching of the snow beneath his feet. There were numerous (trees?) all around, adding to the simple splendor of the scene. He looked down at the city far below, the lights twinkling with holiday dreams. He tried to take in the beauty of both nature and civilization, but there was much on his mind that distracted him. The cares and worries of his non-holiday life seemed to follow him to the magical mountain, and not even the smell of (Bulgarian drink) could help him get in a relaxed mood.

He stared at the city lights, (many miles?) down the mountain, and wondered for a brief second what any of them were going through. Were they feeling as stressed as he was? Were they having a good holiday, or was it bogged down with life's worries?

He turned from the twinkling lanterns of the city and continued walking down the path, thick with freezing powder. His feet were feeling the effect of the cold wetness of the snow, but he didn't mind it too much. He breathed heavily, watching the tendrils of his breath dissipate in the air. He almost wished the holiday season was over, so he could get back to his normal routine. It was hard trying to seem happy when he didn't feel it.

Lately he had felt the pangs of something strange during his long work days as (Job). He wanted to make a difference in the world, but he wasn't sure how. The news told him nothing but sorrow and tragedy, making him believe there wasn't much hope for the world as a whole. He tried to cling tightly to his faith, and prayed often for himself and others. He didn't know what he could do to help a world in pain, when he himself felt so down. When he was younger, he had felt such a strong desire to help others in what ways he could, giving of his time and resources. As he grew older, he felt the fog of stress and self-focus cloud his view of selfless giving and agape love.

Luben's reverie was interrupted when a man came up beside him where he stood.

"Evening," said the stranger. "I'm Krasimir."

Luben rainsed an eyebrow. Without turning his head, he peered at the man through the corner of his eye. "Uh...hello. Have we met before?"

Krasimir chuckled. "We have not."

"Do you tell everyone your name that you randomly meet? That seems rather irresponsible."