Chapter 5

Evinan leaned back, trying to relax. She took a deep breath, focusing on clearing her mind and pushing away her feelings. Her memories. Her emotions.

I don't even know how to use it. She was probably lying to me anyways. Just another way to mess with me.

She shook her head. This had to work; she would go insane if it did not.

Eyes closed, she tried to forget herself entirely and become... what? Who am I even trying to be? Do I have to know the name? The face? Or do I just sit back and wait for something to happen? Do I even need to relax?

She settled back against the smooth wall, thinking of whose mind she would invade. She smiled at the thought, and rattled her chains for emphasis. It seemed ludicrous when she thought about what she was trying to do; honestly, it made sense why her people seemed to think she was insane.

Here was the Empress. Tall and stubborn, Empress Evinan has chained herself to a wall after screaming threats and running out of official council meetings. Now she sits against that wall and attempts to enter other Luriels' minds, all while insisting that she knows the best for her people and is doing all she can to save them. Ridiculous when I think of it. But I know that I am right! I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy.

A sudden wave of desire washed over her, and the Empress's smile immediately vanished. There was no time for fun and games. She had an empire to save. But the question still remained: how did she use this gift, and who should she use it on? Evinan took a moment, but eventually decided to see what her son, Ixen, was up to.

Uuuhhh... Ixen. Ixen? Ixen I must enter you now.

She settled back and once again tried to take a deep breath, thinking of her son over and over and over again. Nothing happened until once again the wave of passion crashed into her. The second she felt that familiar pull of her heart and sharp intake of breath, her mind went blank. She remembered nothing. Felt nothing. It was like watching a play through the actor's eyes, but having no control of what they said or did. She was officially inside of Ixen, her son.

Ixen sat, hunched over and reading the words in front of him

Ixen sat, hunched over and reading the words in front of him. Well, in reality his eyes saw the words, but his mind glossed over them. His sister was somewhere next to him, waving a stick around or doing some other unintelligent thing. At least he was trying to work.

"Ixen, I want to be the captain of a royal guard. I'm young yet. I've been training myself for years. Wouldn't you like to be in an army?"

"No, Chauna, I wouldn't. As I have said a thousand times, I would rather continue to live in the society we do now. And besides, we should focus on saving our people from cannibalism before we agree to needlessly risk their lives in battle," Ixen flicked with his fingers. 

Chauna sat down beside him, but she still looked lost within herself. He turned away from her, trying to focus, but immediately turned back towards her. "Why would you even want to wield weapons and kill in the first place?"