Chapter 19

A/N:Ladies and gentleman: the moment you've all been waiting for , and tell me what do you think about the new cover please, I don't know how to make covers to bare with me, if you know someone who can, hmu <3

After the day i gave Lauren the daisy chains . . . and my heart, I learned far more about her than just what she and her mother did on Saturday evenings. I realized she's like one of those cockles that you see clinging to the rocks down on Fermoy beach. You know by looking at it that it's loose, but as soon as you touch it or get close to it, it seizes up and clings on to the rock's surface for life. That's what Lauren was like; open until someone came near and then she'd tense up and cling on for dear life.

Sure, she opened up to me on that day in the back garden, but then the next day when I dropped by, it was as though she were mad at me because she'd talked about it. But that was Lauren all 'round, mad at everyone, including herself, and she was probably embarrassed. It wasn't often Lauren told anybody anything about herself, unless she was talking to customers about her company.

It was difficult to spend time with Luke now that Lauren could see me and frankly she would have been worried if I knocked on her fuchsia door to ask her if Luke was coming out to play. She has a thing about friends being a certain age. The important thing, though, was that Luke didn't seem to mind. He was always so busy playing with Sam.

Whenever Luke decided to include me, it would make Sam frustrated because he couldn't see me of course. I think I was getting in the way, and Luke and I both knew that it wasn't really him that I was there for. Kids always know what's going on, even before you know yourself sometimes.

I didn't like that Lauren thought that I was Sam's mother. I never lie to my friends, ever, so I tried so many times to tell her that I wasn't Sam's mom.

One of the times, the conversation went like this.

One evening in the house after Lauren had been at work, she asked me,

"So where are you from, Camila?"

She had just finished a meeting with Vincent Taylor about the hotel and apparently, according to her, she just walked right up to him and told him she had been speaking with Camila and we both felt the hotel needed a children's area to give the parents an even more relaxing romantic time together. Well, Vincent laughed so much that he just gave in and agreed. She's still confused as to why he thought it was so funny. I told her it was because Vincent hadn't a clue who I was and she just rolled her eyes at me and accused me of being secretive.

Anyway, because of that, she was in a good mood so she was ready to talk, for a change. I was wondering when she'd start asking me questions (other than the ones about my job, how many staff we had, what was the turnover every year—she bored me to tears with all that kind of stuff).

But she'd finally asked me where I was from, so happily I answered, "Ekam Eveileb."

She frowned. "That name is familiar, I've heard of it somewhere before. Where is it?"

"A million miles from here."

"This town is a million miles from everywhere. Ekam Eveileb." She allowed the words to roll off her tongue.

"What does that mean? That's not English, is it?" She looked confused.

"It's draw kcab-ish."

"Draw Cab?" she repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"Honestly, Camila, sometimes you're as bad as Luke. I think he gets most of his sayings from you."

I chuckled.