Chapter 43 (Last Chapter)

A/N: This is the last chapter, thank you for your guys support, I mean without your votes or comments I wouldn't have finished it, I had this idea of  an Imaginary Friend story for quiet a while now, I am happy of what it have become, so I love you all very much, and take care ! <3 PS: I might or may not be writing a sequel for this story

"Where's Lauren?" Vincent Taylor hissed angrily at Benjamin, out of earshot of the crowd that had gathered for the opening of the new hotel.

"She's still in the kids' room." Benjamin sighed, feeling the cement of the building wall of pressure from the last week finally dry and lay heavy on his aching shoulders.

"Still?" he shouted and a few people who had been paying attention to the speech being made at the front of the room turned around. The local politician from the town had come to officially open the hotel and a few speeches were being made around the original tower in the hotel grounds. Soon, the crowd would be trampling through the hotel, looking in each room to admire the work and the two men still didn't know what Lauren was up to in the playroom. The last time either of them had seen it four days ago, it was still a blank canvas.

Lauren literally hadn't come out of that room for the past few days. Benjamin had brought her some drinks and food from a vending machine and she had hastily grabbed it from him at the door and slammed it shut again. He had no idea what the interior was like and his life had been hellish all week trying to deal with a panicking Vincent. The novelty of Lauren speaking to an invisible person had long since worn off Vincent, he had never had rooms being worked on during the very moment the building was being opened, it was a ridiculous and extremely unprofessional situation.

The speeches finally finished, there was polite clapping, and the crowd began to file inside, where they began inspecting the new furniture, everyone inhaling the smell of fresh paint as they were led around.

Vincent swore loudly over and over again, receiving angry glances from parents as by room after room they got closer to viewing the playroom. Benjamin could barely take the suspense and paced the floor. He recognized Lauren's father looking around in boredom while leaning on his blackthorn cane, and her nephew with his nanny among the crowd, and he hoped to god she wouldn't let them all down.

Judging by their last conversation on top of the hill, he believed she would come through for them. At least he hoped so; he was due to fly back to his hometown in Colorado next week and he couldn't take having to deal with any delays on site. For once, his personal life would come before his work.

"OK, boys and girls," the guide said as if she were in a Barney episode, "this next room is especially for you, so moms and dads, you'll have to take a few steps back to allow them through because this is a very special room."

There were oohs and aahs, excited giggles, and whispers as the children let go of their parents' hands, some shyly, some daringly racing toward the front. The guide turned the handle on the door. It didn't open.

"Jesus Christ," Vincent muttered, placing his hand over his eyes. "We're ruined."

"Eh, just a minute, girls and boys." The guide looked questioningly over at Benjamin.

He just shrugged and shook his head hopelessly.
The guide tried the door again, but to no avail.
"Maybe you should knock," one child shouted out and the parents laughed.

"You know what, that's a very good idea." The guide played along, not knowing what else to do.
She knocked once on the door and suddenly it was pulled open from the other side. The children slowly shuffled forward.

There was complete silence and Benjamin covered his face in his hands. They were in big trouble.

Suddenly one child let out a "Wow!" and one by one, the hushed and stunned tones from the children gradually became excited calls to one an other. "Look at that!" "Look over there!"