Chapter five: "I Promise"

That day from the bar, nothing really changed like I hope it would. I tried the communication method that the bartender was telling me about, but honestly, it made things a lot worse.

Julie always seems to be stressed out about whatever is going on in her life, that doesn't involve me or Milly. She won't talk to me about anything, even when I beg.

Things are different.

"Do you love me?"

I ask, when we were all sitting in the living room watching tv.

The question itself came out of nowhere, but I really wanted to know the answer.

Looking over at me, she sat her book down. "What kind of question is that?"

"A question that I asked."

She continued to look at me before picking up her book. "Of course I do."

"Then why don't you act like it."

By this time, everything was gone too quiet. Julie looks over at me then look at Milly, who was sitting on the floor.

Milly was watching us and I regret ever saying anything. I watched as Julie told Milly to go upstairs real quick and she'll be up there in a moment.

After Milly had left, Julie is now looking at me and I could tell that this might not end too well.

Julie placed her book on the table and turns towards me. "Ok, Skylar. Why are you asking these questions?"

"I just feel like we're not the same anymore."

She makes a gesture with her hands as she's watching me. "What do you mean?" I look somewhere else for a moment. "Look at me when I'm talking to you, Skylar."

I look back at her. "Ok, that's one thing that completely pisses me off. You're fucking bossing me around all the damn time like I'm a fucking kid. You don't trust me at all with anything that has to do with us. You're treating me like a kid," I held my fingers out and counted everything. "Our sex life isn't the same. It's like you're just trying to orgasm then that's it. There's no love behind it anymore."

"Ok, stop right there."

"No!" I yell. "Whether you see it or not, we're not the same anymore. I know it has nothing to do with me."

She stares at me. "Oh, so this is all my fault?"

"Kind of."

A moment later, she stands up. "I don't know what you're fucking problem is, but none of that shit is true! I try my best for you, Skylar! I give you everything you've ever wanted and how to you treat me? Like shit!"

What the fuck?

Was she turning this around on me?

"I love you, Skylar! I love you more than anything in this world! I am stressed to the max! With everything! You're just making it worse by adding more stress when it's not needed! Having a family means responsibilities, Skylar. Something that you're still learning about."

She walks out of the living room and I sat on the couch with my head in my hands. I felt like more shit as this was all my fault.

I heard things being thrown away and I sat there for a moment. I knew talking to her wasn't going to help right now, so I'll just let her get her frustrations out as I sit here and listen to all the noise.

-

I yawned as I stared at the night sky.

It seems as though the world is a different place at night. After all the chaos during the day, and the sun goes down. Everything seems to calm down.

A lot quieter and peaceful is being underneath the stars at night. Even when the sky is fully dark and the stars seem to shine more. No street lights blocking out the light, just the sky and yourself.

I heard noises coming from the house. I sat up and moved closer to the window as I heard Julie's voice. She was talking on the phone and I could only make out a few words. She kept moving around the room, making it harder for me to hear what she was saying.

"Yeah, I know." She paused. "We're always fighting and it's exhausting." She kept walking around. "Why would I do that? I can't just pack up and leave."

By this time, I knew she was talking to Ruth.

"That sounds great but I really can't leave." She paused then stopped walking. "I mean.. I guess you're right. But.. it still doesn't sound like a great idea."

I lean back away from the window and look up at the sky. I'm pretty sure that Ruth was trying to get her to leave for a while to work things out. I hope Julie is smart enough to know that it's not going to work.

She can't just leave.

I decided to climb back through the window. As soon as I was climbing through, I heard Julie still talking on the phone and she instantly stopped once I was inside the room.

"I'll call you back. Ok, bye." She hangs up and we're standing there staring at each other. "Skylar-"

Shaking my head, I stopped her. "I'm sorry for everything."

She walks towards me and wraps her arms around my neck. "Baby, it's not just your fault." She gently kisses me then leans her forehead against mine. "It's mine too."

I stared at her lips for a moment, not knowing what to say. Everything I say always ends up being an argument, so it's best if I keep my mouth shut on things for now on.

"I love you, Skylar."

I look up at her eyes as she was staring at me. I slightly smiled then sigh. "I love you too."

"Promise?" She leans away then holds her pinky finger up.

I look at her for a moment before wrapping my pinky around hers. "I promise."