IV

I stared at my hand in disbelief, and rotated it. Suddenly I felt something new inside me, something I'd never felt before. I felt powerful, that's really the only way I can describe it. I looked at James, my father.

"How'd you know?" I asked him, because by the look on his face, he was not surprised.

"Every time I've ever sparred, or been in a fight," he told me, "my power has come out, almost involuntarily...actually completely."

"Oh my gods," I whispered, and once again looked at my hand. For a while, I was at a loss of words. All I wanted to do, was see it again.

Are you ready to go back? I heard his voice say, but I didn't hear it through my ears. It was...in my head.

"What the hell-" I stammered.

"Think of the person you want to say something to," he told me, "and say it. I was confused at first to..."

What am I? I asked him, and he smiled.

You...are a natural born Dragon Rider.

It didn't take long to get back to the ships. Thankfully when we did, no one was awake yet. James had Starfire hover in the air, and he set me down gently on the deck. I looked back at him, and he smiled.

"I'll be back by mid-morning," he whispered, "then, I will tell you everything...I promise." As the dragon turned I held out my hand,

"Wait," I said, and he turned to look at me. I opened my hand, showing him a little spark of lightning that I had no idea I could actually summon on command. It was more for an experiment than show. "Thank you, for showing me this."

He nodded, and then disappeared into the clouds. I turned around and walked towards Astrid and Hiccup, and smiled as I saw the two of them were still cuddled up together. I walked over, and kissed them both on the forehead, then went downstairs. I did the same to my mother and Hope, then I laid in my cot.

I see you met your father, I heard her voice say in my head. She turned and looked at me. I looked at my hand, and showed her what I could do. She looked almost surprised, but recovered quickly.

"I guess I did," I told her. She nodded, and turned back around. And I was finally allowed to get some much needed sleep.

"Hey Alia," I heard someone say, and I was shook until I opened my eyes. "Alia, wake up. There's something outside you need to see!"

"You could just tell me," I whispered, still half asleep. My long hair was now in my face, and I feel that it was nodded and sticking up. It took me a moment to realize who was in front of me. It was my Mom, she seemed different. She seemed, I don't know...alive.

"Mom?" I asked, "what are you-"

"Just get up sweetie," she urged me, "fix your hair, take your time, but come outside."

"But I need to-"

"Please," she asked me, and I had no choice but to give in to my mother's new self.

"Fine," I said, she smiled, and kissed me on the cheek. I stood and walked over to the mirror that had been placed in our cabin and examined my hair. It was completely knotted, and it like, spiraled upwards like you'd see in a friction...oh gods. "Dammit," I whispered under my breath. I must've used my power by accident in my sleep. Hopefully no one had seen it happen.

I rushed over to my cot, and grabbed the bag that I had put under it. I opened the pouch, and pulled out my brush. I sighed with relief, and lifted it fully out of the bag. A chain was attached to it. I dropped the hairbrush, and lifted the chain completely out of the bag. In the middle of the chain was a rock, with a symbol that looked something like this in the center of its smooth surface: