VI

My heart nearly stopped as New Berk came into view. A giant warship was docked not far off, the sails had what looked like a sword stabbing through a dragon skull on them. The ship was nearly a hundred feet long at least, and was armored with white dragon scales. Dragons flew overhead, and Dawn growled from beneath me.

Deathgrippers, she snarled, the leader brings them under his control by seducing them with their own venom. Its a method he learned from Grimmel the Grizzly before he died.

"We have to get down there," I told her, and she hovered in the air, searching for a good means of approach. She suddenly dove towards the forest, and I was once again forced to grab the handles of the saddle. "Where are we going? My family is down there-"

Mine is too, don't forget, she said, but we need a plan, we cant just go in swinging blind.

"We can do it Dawn," I told her, and I remembered James words in the letter he'd given me. If you ever feel the need to, just rip the chain from your neck, it won't hurt I promise. I wrapped my fingers around the necklace James had given me, and tugged on it. The chain broke and in the blink of an eye I held a sword.

Its crossguard was curcular, and in the middle of it was the symbol that had also been on the necklace. Runes glowed blue in the metal down the flat of the blade. The hilt was circular and golden, and the handle was wrapped in soft leather. I could feel my power channeling through the blade,

"We have to Dawn," I whispered.

Without another word the dragon banked to the left and we flew towards the ship. I could see members of the village standing on the deck before a cloaked figure. I heard the popping of electricity coming from behind me, and heat rose from beneath my rear. I watched as Dawn's head began to glow blue, and lighting began to crackle on her back.

I summoned my power as well, and together we formed a thunderclap that was so loud Odin probably heard it on Asguard. Dawn flew over the ship and I jumped off her, rolling onto the deck. I stood between the people of New Berk and the cloaked man. I could feel my mother and aunt's eyes on me, as well as the rest of the village.

The man pulled off his cloak to reveal a battlescarred face, and tusks that extended from his lower jaw. He gave me a menacing grin,

"The offspring of James Stevenson," he rasped, and stepped towards me. Dawn landed in front of me and roared.

"Leave her alone Dragnier!" I heard Breanne yell. I looked at the man, and he drew a sword from his back.

"Call off the dragon," he told me, "call her off or she dies."

"Dawn," I whispered, and she stepped back.

"I see your father gave you his sword," he said, "what a shame he must feel, his bloodline ending on a puny girl. You're not even grown yet and you still have the power, power you didn't earn. I had to earn my power," he lifted his hand and a mixture of fire, ice, water, and lightning danced on it. "I will take from you what you do not deserve-"

"I don't know who you are," I said, "or how you got those dragons to follow you, but you need to leave."

The deathgrippers landed beside him, and I got the full feel of how they looked. They were black with a red underbelly, and long tusks that extended from their lower jaw. There was a barb at the end of their tails, and the had claws on their front feet.

"Ha," he grunted, "these dragons follow my orders. Grimmel was my closest ally after the Fall ended, promised me he'd help me get revenge on James Stevenson. Hiccup Haddock killed him protecting his beloved dragons, and afterward sent them off to gods know where. After I buried old Grimmel I swore that I would find those dragons, and after killing the Night Fury, and Starfire, I'd kill every last one.