5

"SO HOW'D you get us out of there so easily, duchess?" The voice from behind her asked.

Carter turned around but did not stop walking through the carpark as she answered.

"Hopper. It took some convincing to let you out, Hargrove, but I'm more charming than I look."

Billy jogged to catch up as she turned back around, adjusting the collar of the leather jacket he had just gotten back from the desk inside the police station.

"You look plenty charming," he said, "How'd you know him again?"

She sent him a sideways glance as he fell into pace beside her, watching as he pulled his own cigarette from his pocket and lit it before placing it between the lips she had to force herself not to look at.

"Had a piece of shit mother. Drugs, anger issues, psychosis, shit like that. After she - died, Hopper took me in. He figured out pretty quickly that I have a way of getting what I want, so he uses me for that sometimes. I owe him, he owes me, he busts me out along with some stranger boy I just met who's already on his second damn cig in the past half hour."

Billy stayed silent, a small smile on his face but recognized sadness in his eyes.

"Oh, and Hargrove - can I call you Hargrove?"

"I prefer Billy."

"Okay - Hargrove. Just so you know, I don't tell anyone this. But for some reason I trust you enough to have broken you out of prison - illegal, by the way... seems you don't know what that means, mister vandalism - the first hour I met you. So you go running your mouth and it's the last damn time you have a tongue to run it with."

Carter grinned at Billy and he smirked at her sideways.

"Where were you when I needed someone like you a few years ago?" He asked, only somewhat joking as he continued to drag from his cigarette.

A sad smile broke across her face.

"Probably needing someone like you too," she started, gently bumping against his arm with her own, "But that's how it goes, right? You never meet anyone you need at the time you need them."

*****

After deliberating for too long about who's car was closest, Billy and Carter found themselves kicking gravel in the middle of the road as they walked down the yellow lines.

Billy felt questions and conversation starters dash across his brain like static; none quite separate nor unique, yet all distinguishable for a moment. Carter pretended to not watch as his mouth opened like a guppy fish and then closed every other second. She could not hide her smile, thankful Billy couldn't see her grinning at him in the dark light.

Billy was frustrated. At himself, for being so stupidly unable to speak to a girl. At the girl, for taking away his ability to speak. At his feet as they tripped on the rough road and his arms shot out to steady himself.

"Shit!" He spoke, finally breaking the one-sided comfortable silence.

Carter chuckled softly.

"New legs, Hargrove?" She questioned mockingly.

"Nope," he started, feeling the usual flirtation as it warmed his core, "Fully grown. Not the only thing, if you know what I mean."

Billy winked in Carter's direction, forgetting for a moment she couldn't see his facial advancements.

A low whistle came from beside him.

"That was rough," Carter laughed at his attempt to seduce her.