Chapter 1

There was just something about him.

Aksel's breath hitched in his throat as their call connected. His heart skipped a beat as he glanced at his monitor, which pertained a second more of darkness before an array of light appeared, and in that light was the very cause of all of his problems, worries, and wildest hopes.

"Hey dude," came the pitchy voice of his Hispanic friend, a smile soon folding its way over beautifully toned skin.

That smile was immediately mimicked; Aksel had already captured it a million times in his mind but he still adored seeing it every time that he did.

"Hey," Aksel replied in his lower tone of voice, sitting back in his chair to catch his breath. He didn't know when the whole 'short-of-breath' part came around to this whole act but it had been happening a lot lately and he'd learned to control it.

"One second." Alex mumbled after their greetings were through, clearly going through something on his computer. Aksel watched his webcam feed patiently, studying every inch of the other boy and his surroundings until he spotted a light shake in the camera, as well as a soft motion coming from the corner of the screen.

"Feeling giddy, Alex?"

There was a soft pause from the other. The kind so sudden that everything fell to pure silence for at least a couple of seconds.

Then, that beautiful smile broke out with more teeth and more enthusiasm. Aksel could almost see stars form in Alex's warm brown eyes, the kind that made him melt into a puddle of his own enjoyment for the other's every whim. He hated how easily the other had control.

"Yeah!--"Alex replied, looking back up towards the webcam and facecam area. "--Aren't you?"

The Estonian man couldn't even begin to describe how excited he was. Well, that was of course, without getting all sappy and gross on his poor friend. So instead, he opted to tone down his overpowering emotions and speak upon his more tame ones.

"Fuck yeah, dude. It's only been, what, like six years?"

Alexis let out a cute little laugh and dear god if Aksel's heart didn't nearly beat right out of his chest. That laugh.

That was what got to him the most over anything else.

"Six years that have felt like decades!" Alex chirped back, his giddy grin evident and his leg tapping feverishly under his desk.

"Six years and somehow we're still putting up with each other," Aksel tsked, shaking his head softly, playing with his glasses.

The other giggled again, clicking away at something else on his screen, clearly half distracted as usual while he responded. Aksel didn't mind. This meant that he could continue to observe Alexis without a problem in the world.

"Yeah, which is kind of surprising considering how much of a stupid idiot jerk you are."

Aksel snickered and let out a breathy chuckle.
"I think you've got the wrong guy, maybe you used the wrong left to point him out."

There was a moment of realization in the other's face that the Estonian wished he could capture forever.

"Hey! Shut the fuck up!"

Aksel laughed more and Alex joined in, assumingly minimizing his tab due to the sudden dimming of light as he sat back in his chair and looked up at Aksel's facecam and a little into the camera.

He knew he couldn't wasn't looking directly at him, but the stare was enough to fill him with a warm, fluttery feeling in the pits of his stomach.