Chapter 6

There was fear in his eyes.

The same fear that Aksel felt burning his way like wildfire through his chest.

"You're just really cool and fun to hang out with Alex, and every second I've spent with you over the past six years has been the happiest of my life--which sounds really gay in retrospect--but I don't mind if it is! Because it's you, and uh--I'm most comfortable with you out of anyone--"

Alex shut up him by shaking his head and lowering it into two palms.

"Oh my god, Aksel..." He muttered through gritted teeth, muffled by his hands.

Aksel's focus fell onto his heart, which was sinking rapidly in his chest, looking at the other boy. He didn't want to cry, but he would be lying if he said it wouldn't feel nice to succumb to the stinging acidic pricks at the corners of his eyes.

Everything was crumbling down.

He could see Alexis right in front of him, sitting in a small, hunched over form so close to him, yet he had never felt so far away from someone in his life.

It was like Aksel was on an island and Alex was steadily sailing away, beyond his reach and control.

"Fuck. I gotta go," Aksel whispered, standing up and pulling his backpack over his shoulders.

It was too painful to look back at Alexis.

So instead, he rushed out of the park at his own pace.

"So, it didn't work out, huh?"

Aksel flinched at the sound of the familiar British voice, taking his head out of his hands for the first time in maybe an hour.

He'd been crying on and off to himself but hiding it from the rest of the gang ever since they Ubered back to the BnB. They didn't need to know.

The last he'd heard from Quackity was that he was going to Uber back to the hotel, knowing they were all meeting back there when it got dark.

Aksel didn't want to go back. He felt sick to his stomach.

"No. No, unless you count ruining a friendship of six years as 'working out'," Aksel mewled exhaustedly, picking at a bit of fluff he'd pulled from his shirt.

He watched Henry give him a pitiful look before sliding into the outdoor chair beside him, laying back to relax just as quickly in his regular fashion.

"Hey man, don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you guys can still be friends."

The words only added to the sickly swelling in Aksel's gut, making him feel like if he opened his mouth he would either scream in agony or throw up everywhere. So, he opted for a sigh instead, barely able to find the strength to look Henry in the eyes.

The two sat in silence for a second.

"Are you coming back for the fireworks show?" Henry asked quietly, as if the question had the ability to break backs if not spoken as such.

Aksel grimaced slightly, eyes falling distantly to the ground, shaking his head and curling his knees into his chest before securing them with his hands.

"Bro, I understand that your hurt, but Disney isn't just Quackity's big make-or-break. It's yours too, and more than that, it's yours together," Henry stated, leaning over to give Aksel's calf a reassuring punch.

The Estonian felt the impact and bored over at Henry with big, blue eyes that seemed much duller than before.

He was right. No matter how sick Aksel felt, he didn't want to regret not maximizing his time in Disney's very own land while he was in California--who knew when he'd be back here again.