Fourteen | The Raid

Hey guys so after a long hiatus, I decided to continue this fic.
Initially I was going to set this chapter before the first scene of httyd 1 but now I decided to just skip to that scene. But I will give it my own spin. 

Enjoy this chapter :)

-JenniferTjandrajana

P.S I will be including a mix of tracks from HTTYD 1 and some Viking/Celtic music in this chapter and many chapters to come. 

Track:  Rúnfell - Aelles Fate 

The warning horn blew in the distant. Another raid broke loose. 

Alarmed, Hiccup tossed his blankets aside and scrambled out of bed. Blinded by darkness, he tried to move around his cluttered room to find his fur vest and boots. The candle on his bedside table was smothering away, providing minimal light in the dark. 

 Being the clumsy person he was, Hiccup tripped and fell on the floor with a thud.  He sat up, muttering silently to himself and rubbed his sore jaw. Shrugging it off, Hiccup slipped on his fur vest and tugged on his boots. 

There was nothing more he hated than being woken abruptly in the middle of the night. And worse, there had to be another dragon raid tonight. All he wanted was to snuggle up in his nice warm bed, escaping to the realms of his dreams. 

But being born a Viking, getting up at an ungodly hour to a dragon raid was the norm around here. He's lived fifteen years of his life seeing raids after raids, so tonight was nothing new. 

Hiccup stared out the window. The night sky stretched for miles, painted by endless sea of stars. An ominous reddish-orange glow ignited around the village below. From up here, Hiccup could hear sounds of vicious roars, mighty warrior cries and panicked screams echoing through the village. He had to admit, living atop a hill had some advantages; it was safe from any dragon attacks - most of the time- and it had a good view of the village  below. 

Tonight was the fifth raid this week. Already, the village was losing most of their livestock and had to live with the burden of rebuilding their crumbled homes. Many prayed to the gods for this three-hundred-year-old war to end; once and for all. They hoped by winter the chief and his men will find the dragon's nest and destroy it. Though, it would probably be wishful thinking. 

Grabbing the candle off his bedside table, Hiccup darted downstairs, his footsteps echoing against the creaking timber floors. He needed to head to Gobber's forge as soon as he can. By now, the store must probably be flooded with swords and axes needed sharpened, and a clamour of voices impatiently waiting for their weapons fixed. 

When Hiccup reached the foyer, he found it completely deserted. His father had probably gone to gather his men, leaving a half empty mug of ale on his chair. The cauldron was left in the fireplace, sending off an unpleasant smell of chowder from dinner last night. Of course, the chief was great at many things, except cooking. Cooking wasn't his forte. 

Hiccup frowned at the dying fireplace. He needed to gather more wood later as it was his responsibility every morning. 

Setting the candle on a table beside the door, Hiccup grasped on the brass door handle. Grunting, he pulled the door using as much strength he could muster.  He swung the door open, greeted by a Monstrous Nightmare glaring at him. The dragon charged forward before Hiccup could shut the door.