CHAPTER 16 - THE DRESS

The next day, Elizabeth made a call to Abigail to aide her trouble about the evening vogue for the coming event. She specifically inquired about any nearby boutique that vends cocktail dresses at a decent price. It was right there and then that she regretted the call when she realized she did a very likely unwise decision of counting onto her. Not that she didn't like having opinions from Abigail but when it comes to dressing code she's ecstatic and she'll never stop making endless attempt in making her fit all the dresses until she has decided what to get which is always and undoubtedly the best amongst the rest. It is never easy to deal with the extent of her satisfaction. She gives an unremarkably high taste to fashion and it takes a whole lot of courage and patience to come along in terms with her in that field. And like what she had feared before she ended the call, a decision was made. Abigail left her no choice but to go with her this afternoon after work.

That same morning, following the phone call to her best friend which she immediately took as a mistaken choice of action of the day, she started sending mails to some of the distinguished people her boss asked her to do. She received the command very early this morning thru email and just like the last time she expected a miracle from him. She still trusts that a simple phrase like thank you won't burn-- if ever, it could be barely but not much-- his ego but he failed her. She should have just accepted that praising will never ever be listed in his vocabulary of attitudes. If she did a great job, she must get accustomed that it is literally her duty. Of course, that is what she's paid for. And she must emboss in her skull that his kind who is used to combat against rivals in the netherworld of all the business endeavors is feral and can go ballistic at any extreme circumstance so any soft spot in him could be a territory incognito.

Nevertheless, she had fulfilled all what she was told to do during the entire days of his absence. There was nothing to complain about the work. She was, instead, satisfied of being tied in the office. She took all her precious time to get fully occupied in putting into action her skills and technical know-how. She didn't waste every single second of her stay during the working hours because she knows that this special opportunity, apart from being too scarce, is soon to end at any moment today and she will return into becoming kaput when he's around since it seemed like he loves keeping her from doing what she is ought to do in her position. She even wondered when would this chance ever happen once more. When he comes back, other significant assistant-related activities will return off limits again.

She started collecting all the papers that were meant to be brought in his office before he arrives at any moment of the day. She was neatly arranging them in a pile according to future relevance when something fell off the table. It was the notepad. She picked it up recalling at the very same moment why in the first place it was there in her office. It's not hers and she can't, in any viable logic, presume that the owner will entitle her to keep it.

She stood up, gathered all the necessary things and got ready to submit them in his table. He didn't inform her of his exact arrival so she'd better get herself free from any reasons of being caught in his room. Not that she's avoiding to see him but better not to give him even the slightest notion of not being prompt. That could mean a flaw on her part, something that his perfectionist boss would look upon for succeeding attempt to chafe her pride. When she came back to her room the phone rang. Hurriedly, she took the call expecting it was him but gladly identified it was the cousin.

"Hey Liz...sorry to bother you. Just wanted to let you know that James will not set his foot directly to his office. He just asked me to make you a call. I don't know specifically the reason but I guess an important deal to sort out."

"It is okay sir... I un--"

"Just call me Lorenz. You don't need to address me so formally. And I'm fine with the first name basis."