Chapter 1

Third person POV

The school bell rung. Glad that the day was over - finally! - Evie quickly got up from her seat, and left the classroom.
The black-haired girl with piercing grey eyes picked her books up from her locker, swiftly moving through the hallways to avoid bumping into people.

Waiting outside the school entrance for her friend, she looked up. The sky was entirely grey, the air was cold. Rumbles of close by thunderstorms were audible. She silently cursed the unfortunate decision of leaving her coat at home.
"Were you waiting for a long time?"
Evie turned around, and met the smiling face of Louisa, her best friend.
"Cause even if you did, I don't care," she finished the sentence, grinning playfully. Evie laughed. "Meanie."

After a while, they parted ways. Waving her friend goodbye, Evie went left, as Louisa went right. She shivered, as raindrops began to fall slowly down, softly at first, but increasing in amount and size steadily.
"Crap," she whispered to herself, as she found herself running off the road, trying to find shelter.
In the end, Evie stopped at a dark alley, where it was dry. She shivered, harder and longer this time, again.

What was she gonna do now? She had two options.
To stay here, and wait until the rain stopped —which could take incredibly long, or she could run to her home, for fifteen minutes (!) and end up getting soaked wet. She chose the first option, knowing she would freak her mom out if she dirtied the house with wet clothes. And, who knows? The rain might stop in just a few minutes, right?

And so Evie stayed there, counting in herself, waiting patiently. She didn't notice the butterfly at all. It had been struggling through the rain, all the way from the forest. The forest, which was more than a thousand miles away. The forest, where a dead body had been found, some years ago. Barely recognisable.

It finally reached Evie. Without her even catching a glimpse of it, it latched itself on her neck.

She tensed up, paralyzed. A numbing sensation went from her neck, all the way through her entire body. The numbness made place for stinging. The stinging made place for burning.

She tried to scream, but didn't come any further than opening her mouth. Falling to her knees, she placed her hands behind her neck and leaned forward, becoming as small as possible.

Raindrops tapped on her head, she didn't care. Just make it stop, make it stop..!
Tears welled up, Evie shakily inhaled. Not even being able to yell, she whispered:

"What's happening..? Someone, please, please.. stop this..! Anyone...? Help.. please..."

Nobody came. Nobody heard her soft but desperate calls.

After a while, the pain died down, and Evie just sat there, drenched, weak and tired, and crying quietly. Still weeping, she got up, trembling, and started to stumble to the safest, and closest, place she knew.

The doorbell rung. She went to get it.
Opening the door, while making sure the least amount of rain came in, she asked a common question.
"Who's there-?"
She looked wide eyed at Evie. Her friend, who normally was so clean, energetic and bright, was now leaning on the doorpost, with the most helpless expression she had ever seen.

"Louis—a," Evie whispered, as she fell forward, tired out. She caught her, quickly. When did she get so heavy?
"Help me.." Even those two words had been too much, and she passed out.
Louisa was, at this point, completely lost.
What in the world had happened to her?

She carried Evie as fast and quietly as she could to the living room. Placing her on the couch, she did not notice the black mark on Evie's neck.

The mark in the form of a butterfly.