Chapter 3: Beware of Trolls Bearing Flowers!

Otto approached the edge of the trees with no regard, calling for his mother. “Mother! Mother!”

Suddenly the dark outlines of the trees vanished as something was slid over his head. He struggled and squirmed and yelled, but whatever had him, had him fast. He could feel the rough burlap against his face as he was picked up and swung over someone’s shoulder, his head hanging to the ground. He struggled a little more but then grew afraid of being dropped on his head.

For several hours Otto’s captors carried him through the forest until finally he was tossed roughly to the ground. Otto grunted from the fall but remained still. He had no idea which direction they had gone and no idea where he was now.

“There,” said one of the voices. “Done. Wonder what he wants with him? Not enough for playin’ with, much less a mouthful to eat.”

“Ain’t none of our business,” said another voice. “Orders is orders, and he’s payin’ good.”

A woman moaned softly. “Please,” said a faint voice. “I have done as you asked, now free me as was promised.”

Both voices laughed a cruel, heartless laugh. “Don’t you know?” the first one said, “The only thing worse than a troll’s promise is a wizard’s?” And both troll voices laughed long and hard because trolls are just plain mean that way.

Otto felt the heat of a campfire, some distance away.

The trolls began to complain: “Hog for breakfast, hog for lunch, and hog for dinner. What’s wrong with a little man flesh once in awhile??” 

“And stale beer,” said the other voice.

“What?! the beer is stale!?”

“And warm.”

“Confounded wizards! Can’t trust ‘em for nuthin.”

An eerie silence followed, and all Otto heard was the wind in the leaves and the slobbering, smacking sounds of the trolls eating.

“Say Dob,” said the first voice.

“Yeah Wun,” said Dob.

“Do you think he’d notice if the boy weren’t exactly, you know, alive? He don’t really need him alive, now does he?”

There was a moment of silence, apparently Dob considering the proposition. “He’d notice,” Dob finally said, to Otto’s great relief.

More slobbering and lip smacking followed for a while, then Wun spoke up again.

“Well,” said Wun, “What if he was just missing some parts? Think he’d care? You know, like a leg? Or maybe two? They are pretty small legs.”

Dob sighed. “He’d care. He was pretty careful to say to bring the boy here alive and in one piece. And you know how he gets when he’s crossed.”

“Yep, that’s for sure,” and Otto heard a strange guttural sound that was something akin to laughter, but without any mirth.

“What if we just ate the boy and say he escaped?” said Wun.

“What is wrong with you boy!” said Dob. “I done said we have to deliver the boy to the wizard alive. Sayin’ he escaped ain’t gonna help any. You think that wizard is gonna believe a little boy like that got away from the likes of you and me?!”

“I know that,” said Wun.

“Then why bring it up?!”

“I didn’t,” said the offended Wun.

“Yes you did!” yelled Dob. “I sat here and heard you!”

“I did not!” Wun yelled back. “You’re hearin’ things you old goat.”