Back Off

You and Ariana release your song the day after you recorded it. Within ten hours, it's been streamed over a million times. The two of you are sitting in your living room, watching some reality show. Lily went down town with Lisa to do something.

"I have an idea to run by you." Ariana says.

You readjust on the couch so you're leaning against the arm, your legs on Ari's lap. "Shoot."

"Well, first, when do rehearsals for your first concert start?"

"Tomorrow."

"And when is the actual concert?"

"A week after tomorrow."

Ariana nods like that's what she wanted to hear. "Okay, cool. I was thinking since our song has gotten so much traction I could stay till the concert and we could perform it."

"That would be great!" You exclaim. "I really need someone else to hang out with other than Cimorelli."

She wiggles her eyebrows at you. "Speaking of Cimorelli, tell me what's happening with you and Dani."

You remember what the youngest Cimorelli told you last night and rolls your eyes. "Nothing."

"Are you serious? You two were flirting and drooling over each other all day."

"I mean, we made out a few days ago, but last night she told me it was a mistake, so..."

"Oh." Ariana nods. "Well, she's an idiot."

"Nah. She just knows my reputation, I can't blame her."

"I can." You realize Ariana actually looks upset. "She might know what your reputation is, but she could have at least tried to get to know you before deciding that. That's bullshit, Y/N/N. People are always judging you before actually trying to get to know you."

You just shrug. "It is what it is, Ari. Nothing I can do about it now."

"Maybe you could talk to her."

You jump when you hear Lily's voice and look up to see her standing by the front door.

"Fuck, Lil. You scared the shit out of me."

She sits on the recliner, kicking her shoes off. "I think you should talk to Dani, if you actually like her."

"Dude, she doesn't like me though." You say. "It doesn't matter what I feel."

"You always do this." Lily says. "You close people out before you even really let them in. I understand why you do it, Y/N/N, I really do, but there's no way you can't feel lonely living like that." She stands up stretching her arms over her head. "Plus, I may have heard that Dani likes you too. You're just kind of intimidating. I think she's just scared." She walks over to gently stroke your hair. "Just talk to her, okay? I'm going to bed."

When Lily disappears into her bedroom, you look back at Ariana.

She's looking at you expectantly, one eyebrow raised. "Well? You gonna talk to her?"

You think about it, contemplate if you and Dani could actually work as a couple. The one and only time you had an actual relationship it ended with you getting your heart broken. That could happen again, or you could break Dani's heart. The idea of hurting her actually makes you feel sick.

You shake your head. "Nah. I'm good."

*

You spend the next week only really seeing the girls during rehearsal. You mostly hang out with Ariana, and Liam and Lucas. The four of you are sitting in your bedroom now, passing a joint around. You and Ari are laying on the bed. Liam is laying across the both of you and Lucas is in your rolling chair.