Chapter 6

TURN THE PAGE CH. 6

"What do you mean she's coming home with you, ate?" April asked, a little sparkle of hope lit in her eyes. "I'm not going to let them take her away from your orphanage. Kung kelangan ko mag-volunteer to keep her in my home for a while, I'll do it. If that's what it takes," June remarked. The ladies stared at her. "Are you sure about this, Juney? I've heard a lot about that kid—" May said, but June interrupted her, "I know what you've heard about her. I've heard so many things about that kid, too. But what people don't realize is that she needs consistency. The reason why she never found a good home is because the moment she runs away o the moment na nagkaka-problema sa kanya, binabalik na sya kaagad sa orphanage. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the families that have attempted to adopt her are bad people, it's just that some are not equipped mentally and physically to handle her," June explained. April looked at her worriedly, "Exactly, ate. Those families have gone through background checks. Chineck yung physical and mental well-being nila, and they've passed to some standard. That's what I'm worried about. Kung sila couldn't handle Page, what more ikaw na you're not at your best when it comes to your mental and emotional health," she said. The ladies nodded in agreement. "That had passed. I'll make it through now," June insisted. "Ate, I'm telling you. Eh kung yung mga sisters sa orphanage, napapagod na mag-deal kay Page minsan eh. Pano ka? Hindi lang basta basta ang pag-aalaga sa kanya. She needs constant attention—" April said when June cut her off, "Exactly. She needs time. Time that I have so much of right now. Sabi mo noon diba nung nagiging busy na si Summer sa mga activities nya, sabi mo I needed to put my time and attention into something to keep me busy para hindi ko maisip yung lungkot. Maybe that's what I have to do now. Page needs someone who has time. I have plenty of that. Page needs love, care, attention and affection? Well guess what, I have plenty of that that I'm dying to give away. Love, care, attention and affection na gustong gusto ko ibigay sa anak ko, but she's gone. So maybe I can give it to her instead," June said. The ladies looked at each other again. Then July took June's hand. "Are you sure about this, Juney?" She asked lovingly but with concern. June looked her in the eyes, "Yes, I'm sure. I want to put Page in my care."

"Sister?" April said the moment she and June arrived at the hospital. She was sitting outside Page's room. "April," sister Coleen said as she stood up. "Ba't ho kayo nandito sa labas?" April asked worriedly. "Kausap ko lang kanina si sister Berlin sa telepono. Ayoko lang parinig kay Page. Ay hello po, Mrs. Torrres," sister Coleen greeted when she saw June standing behind April. "Hello po," June greeted back. "Sister, I brought Mrs. Torres here with me kasi we might have the solution to our problem," April said with a light smile. Sister Coleen looked at April and June, confused. "Anong ibig mo sabihin, April?" She asked. "She wants to volunteer and open up her home for Page habang she can't come home to the orphanage," April explained. Sister Coleen looked at June then at April again. "Does she know what kind of a child Page is?" She asked. "With all due respect sister, I do know what kind of a child Page is—" June said but sister Coleen cut her off, "Yes, but do you know to what extent? Do you know that she's a problematic child? Do you know that she likes to run away? Do you know na noon pa lang she's got so many behavioral issues na walang nagtatagal na pamilya sa kanya? Do you know na sumasagot sagot si Page kapag kinakausap? Na hindi sya marunong mag-po at mag-opo. Na the words that come out of her mouth can be hurtful and rude? Na she doesn't like to be touched or bothered in any way? Na she doesnt like to associate herself with people?" Sister Coleen said, but April stopped her as politely as she could. "Sister, na-explain ko na po sa kanya ang lahat," April informed her. "And she's still willing to keep her for a while? Mrs. Torres, you do know the process might take more than a month to get over with before pwede syang makabalik sa amin? The reason why I'm so strict with this is because you have no experience fostering or adopting. Yung mga facility na mapupuntahan ni Page other than us at least has some experience with troubled children like her. Ganun din ang mga temporary families na mapupuntahan nya. They have at least some experience with foster kids and with adoption,"  sister Coleen explained. June nodded. "I understand your concern, sister. Pero pano po ako mag-kakaron ng experience kung hindi ko po itatry?" June asked, trying not to sound rude. "I understand you as well. I know you have to start somewhere, but handling someone like Page agad agad is like skipping the basic training. She's tough to handle, Mrs. Torres. Ang maganda sayo is to start with a child who you can for sure tolerate. Page is not Summer. She is far from being a perfect child," sister Coleen said. June's chest tightened at the mention of her daughter's name. "My Summer is not perfect. No child is. I've decided to give this a go, sister Coleen. I have committed myself to this already," June said confidently. Sister Coleen looked at June then at April then back at June again. She sighed, "I'll see what I can do."