Chapter 51 part 4

The inside of the house was so quiet that only the echo of Mo Qianren's footsteps could be heard. The beam of light focused on the fireplace, then the red sofa, then came to rest on the Japanese-style coffee table atop the oval-shaped carpet in front of the fireplace. The last time he was here, he'd found a strand of Jin Moli's hair beneath the coffee table...

Mo Qianren narrowed his eyes and walked toward the table before moving both the table and carpet aside to reveal a small wooden door, a great contrast to the glossy floor tiling the rest of the room. There was even a door handle to the side of the wooden door.

He reached out, hesitating for just a moment before continuing with more strength and the door to the basement was yanked open...

The steps to the basement were illuminated by the spotlight. There were five steps going down, with moss growing down the side. The middle of each of the steps were quite clean, looking like someone had walked frequently through.

Mo Qianren sniffed the air. He could smell the scent of many drugs mixed together, the scent of disinfectant water and preservatives cloying in the corridor. He took a step down and slowly proceeded.

Plip plop... Plip plop... Translated by The Novelst

The sound of dripping water echoed from all directions in the small passageway.

There seemed to only be one room at the end of the hall. Mo Qianren walked to the door and looked closely at it. There was a small crack and it looked like the door hadn't been closed completely.

He slowly began to push the door open, the scent from earlier getting stronger and he could smell something new... the faint smell of blood.

Tap, tap, tap...

The sound of footsteps sounded out, the white flashlight scanning the smooth marble top. Mo Qianren walked closer, a woman's shrill scream flashing through his mind. He shook his head clear and gazed at the marble, seeing fresh blood pouring from the marble top to the ground. He himself was stepping in that fresh blood.

Shit!

Mo Qianren quickly shook the scene out of his head and tried to focus. He turned away from the scene before him and looked elsewhere.

Each of the iron racks in the room held an assortment of different drugs, many unlabeled. They seemed to have been placed and mixed by a non-professional. Test tubes, gas cylinders, bandages... There wasn't anything illegal in this room. He moved his flashlight to shine on the wall opposite the door, illuminating different photos of a person stuck to the wall, cut from magazines and newspapers.

Mo Qianren furrowed his brows. He had been abroad studying psychopaths for a long while, so he didn't recognize any of the people in the pictures.

He reached out and took a few photos from the bottom of the album and placed it inside his pocket. He then looked at the other iron rack and noticed a few boxes placed together.

Mo Qianren carefully opened one box. Inside were neat rows of new scalpels. Mo Qianren was very familiar with this kind of item. In his twenty-five years of life, he dealt frequently with these in the last ten.

He opened the next box. Inside were seven long nails fixed to a red cloth, looking somewhat ceremonial.

Just as Mo Qianren moved to open the third box, he froze.

He could hear footsteps getting closer and closer.

Time seemed to slow down to an incredible degree, Mo Qianren crouched there staring at the dark entrance...

"Argh!"

"Ahhhhh!"

Two childish screams rang out at the same time. Two identical little children were standing at the door, both their eyes open wide staring at Mo Qianren still shadowed in the dark.