three

Jughead

Lying on my bed, I read. My legs crossed, head on the pillow and hands holding the book.
Lost in my own imagination I forget everything around me, a tear escaping my eye.
„Don't tell me you're crying because of that book again", I then get torn out of my imaginary world.
I put my finger on the sentence I'm reading currently and look up, only to be met by my dad standing there with a smirk and a, wait what? Shaved face? That's new!
I shrug and continue reading the page before I finish it, close the book and look up again.
I sit up normally and look at him, hoping to get an explanation.
„Shaved face? How come?", I laugh, standing up and putting my book back into the shelf.
„Remember the girl I told you about?", he questions me, probably thinking I forgot.
In fact, I did forget whilst still being caught up in the book, but when he mentioned it I got back to earth.
I nod biting my bottom lip,"Jelly's babysitter", I make it more of a statement than a question, crossing my arms.
And just as dad is about to speak up, a loud sound starts coming out of Jellybean's –my sister– room.
We both start laughing,"Speaking of the devil."

I'm currently sitting on the couch, checking my social media as I hear my little sister's annoying voice,"Can't you dress appropriately for once?"
I look up from my phone, furrow my eyebrows and look at myself up and down.
I'm wearing a pair of jeans, socks, a shirt and my beanie.
Looking up again, I turn my attention to Jellybean, staring at her with a questioning look.
„What isn't appropriate with this?", I chuckle before looking back down at my phone.
She starts arguing with me, but just in that moment the door bell rings, making my dad clear his throat.
He looks at us with a stern and expectant look,"Stop arguing, and please be nice!"
I nod, not giving a damn about what my sister does, take a deep breath and look at my dad who goes to open the door.
Once he opens it, I see him hug someone and soon after I hear a beautiful, girly giggle.
I take a quick look at my phone before looking back at the door, seeing a blonde girl stepping in.
She looks around and our eyes meet for a brief moment, but right after, dad steps in behind her, carrying her suitcase and she turns back around to face him.
I look back at my phone, pretending as if nothing happened and I never saw her, continuing to check my social media.
„Feel free to look around Honey, oh and this are my kids, Jughead and Jellybean", dad exclaims making me –and probably Jellybean– turn my attention back to them.
I take a quick glance at her and out of her facial expression I can tell that she is trying to hold her laugh back.
I sigh, stand up from the couch and walk up to her, stretching my hand out for her to take,"Jughead Jones the third", I state as dad walks away.
She nods with a smirk and then chuckles.
I furrow my eyebrows,"And you are?", I ask her with the same smirk and a wink, expecting to get an answer.
She shakes her head before replying,"Not telling you my name", she answers, shoving my head out of the way with her hand and going to talk to Jelly.

I roll my eyes playfully, close the door and go upstairs into my bedroom.
There I close the door, take my laptop, sit on my bed and start to continue working on the novel I'm currently writing.
It's about a town, a small town and the people who live in the town. From a distance it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world. Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer though and you start seeing the shadows underneath.

I've been writing that novel for quiet a long time now and I must say, it's the best I've ever written.
Lost in my imagination once again I start typing and typing, words flying through the room and sentences being formed out of that words.
I suddenly hear a knock.
I immediately shut my laptop since I don't want anyone to know about the novel until it's finished and turn my head to the door.
My dad enters, obviously noticing that I was writing something, though, he doesn't question me, he just says,"Betty's in her room, unpacking. I thought you'd maybe like to help her."
So that's her name. Betty.
I nod with a sigh, put my laptop away and stand up, making my way over to her room what is right next to mine.
Standing in front of her door, I demand whether to knock or just walk in, I decide on latter.
I put my hand on the doorknob and open it, peaking through the room.
I then enter and clear my throat, making her look at me. „I thought, you", I start, but stop, not knowing what to say.
„You'd maybe like some help?", I finish, making it a question, hoping to not get rejected.
She raises her eyebrows, but then starts to smirk,"I'm actually already finished, but since you obviously want to spend time with me, go ahead", she tells me rolling her eyes.
I roll my eyes as well, close the door and then sit down on her bed.
I lay down crossing my legs and looking around her room.
She walks up to me and shoves my legs out of the bed before sitting next to me.
There is a quick silence, before I then decide to break it,"So you like Justin Bieber?", I ask, noticing her hoodie.
She sighs, shaking her head,"Not any of your business!"
'So that's what she's doing, playing hard to get', I think to myself.
I stand up and explore her room, hoping to find anything else to ask.
I start to lose hope, but then I see a book shelf. A book shelf. That's it!
I walk there and look through the books.
I take one out, before speaking up again,"FiveFeetApart? You read it?", I question, amazed by the fact that she has my favorite book standing in her book shelf.
She smiles and nods,"Up to about 100 times."
Thank god, we finally have something to talk about.
I sit back on the bed, the book still in my hand, before giving it to her and quoting,"I trace the outline of my sister's drawing, lungs molded from a sea of flowers."
A grin appears on her face, she's obviously surprised.
„You read it?", she chuckles impressed.
I nod with a smile,"Up to about 100 times", I mock her voice.
We both break out in laughter and she hits my chest with her hand, making me fall back on the bed.