Chap 3

Roman rubbed his eyes and squinted as he felt the sun beaming down onto him through the living room window. He sat up and cracked his neck before swinging his feet off the couch and standing up. As he made his way to the back to check on Kayla he stretched and cracked the rest of his aching body. Roman walked into his room to find his bed empty. "Kayla?!" He called out through the hallway. With no reply he walked back to the front of his apartment and noticed a note on the coffee table next to his phone.

Thanks for letting me crash at your place.
I don't want my mom to beat my ass so I can't stay.
Also I stole a black sweatshirt from
your closet because it's cold asf outside.

Annoyed Roman picked up his phone and texted Nicole that he'd be ready in 15 minutes and to retreat his sweatshirt from Kayla. Once he clicked send he quickly headed to the bathroom to take a shower, then he moisturized and threw on a pair of jeans and a navy blue spongebob graphic tee. He grabbed his wallet and keys then his phone and walked out of the door. As soon as he made it outside Nicole had pulled into the parking lot. Quickly, she pulled up to the door and Roman got into the passengers seat.

"Thanks for picking me up." Roman thanked Nicole giving her a weak smile.

"You don't have to thank me. I told you, I'd take you to see her whenever you need to." Nicole smiled at her older cousin before pulling out of the parking lot and onto the road.

When Kayla returned home her parents had just woken up. Kayla knew that she couldn't just walk in or she'd be screwed, so she quietly made her way into the backyard and layed down on one of the outdoor sofas before quickly shutting her eyes. Hoping that her parents would notice her, Kayla layed on the sofa and thought of an excuse as to why she would be outside and not inside.

"You told me not to make a sound." Kayla thought aloud. "Yeah, so in order to not make noise I went to bed in the backyard."

"Is that so?" Kaylas father stood beside Kayla shaking his head. Kayla slowly turned to look at him as she held a guilty smile on her face. "So let me get this right. You slept outside because you didn't want to make any noise when you came home 2 minutes ago?"

Kayla sighed and sat up. "I know dad, I know. But just here me out."

"Go on." Kevin folded his arms.

"So I got really wasted, which I know I'm not supposed to. I know you and mom tell me to fake it and just drink the Sprite, but I- I don't know. I got wasted, so my friend drove me to hi-her house and I passed out on her couch. You know it's bad to drink and drive dad, I didn't want to get into an accident."

"One week."

"One week?" Kayla looked at her father confused.

"You better be glad I'm not going to tell your mother about this. One week no car, hand me your keys. I'll be taking you to school from now on."

"How am I going to get home?" Kayla pouted handing over her car keys.

"Why don't you go ask your mother and tell her why you no longer have the keys to your car."

"Fine." Kayla sighed looking at her feet.

"Great. Now I'm off to work, I'll see you for dinner." Kevin ruffled Kaylas hair before walking out of the backyard.

Kayla sighed and walked into the house just as her mother left out. Quietly not to wake up her siblings she made her way to her room and flopped onto her bed before passing out.

~~~

"Yes inmate number 66547, Abbie Henderson." The guard sitting behind the gate called into his walkie as Roman signed his name on the visiter list of Westonsins state prison. Roman nodded at the man before going to sit in the waiting room. He observed the brightly lit white walled room and all the pictures and posters of officers who previously worked in the correction facility. His eyes landed on a card charger, so he slowly made his way to it before hesitantly placing ten dollars into the machine and retreaving a charged snack card.