1 | What's Happening?

Their sword grazed mine, sparks flying in every direction.

What made this odd was that I was in a tattered blue tunic, all muddy from the pond I just stepped out of.

And I was fighting a girl I've never met with a sword I don't remember.

Without thinking, I took another strike of her blade on my arm, surprised to find a oddly colored gauntlet already there, taking the hit with a subtle crack.

I was out of options, and she was clearly better than me.

I struck, hard, her blade flying away from the force of my own, even as she gripped onto  it with white knuckles. Fresh out of options, I rammed into her, shoulder first; sending her into the ground. I placed a boot just below her breasts, and when that didn't stop her from struggling, I pointed my blade at her neck.

That stilled her at least, but the fury never left her eyes.

"Who the hell are you," I growled, lowering the blade even closer to her neck, "why are you attacking me?"

She hissed, seemly more pissed than me, "you're a Champion, her Champion," she spat at my boot, which was still pressing hard on her lower ribs. It was rather hard to do from her angle, but she didn't hesitate. "You failed us, you failed her."

I snarled, little keeping me from from plunging my blade through her and into the earth below.

"Who is 'she'?"

"The Princess of Hyrule, you bastard! Don't play game we me, I was this close to cutting your bloody neck!"

The Princess of Hyrule?

Her sword was still in hand, not cutting off my leg due to the fact that my own was an inch from her throat. Slowly, I lifted my boot from her chest; lowering the blade until it touched her neck to make sure she knew I wouldn't allow any attempt at escape. I stomped on her hand, and she let go of her sword's hilt. I kicked it aside, far enough away that I wouldn't have to worry even if she freed herself of my hold on her.

"Well," I said, standing between the girl and her far off sword before lifting my blade from her neck, "it seems I'm at a bit of an advantage, am I?"

"Go to hell," she said, but she stood anyway, "who do you think you are, boy? How dare you show your face here after what you've done!"

I yawned, running a hand across my blade, finger holes in my gauntlet allowing me to feel the honed metal, "you sure talk a lot of smack for a girl without weapons."

She glowered at me, and I took her silence as my chance to finally assess the stranger before me. She wore a tunic like mine, except it was brown, and a much lower quality and design. Simple black pants and brown shoes of a farmer adorned her legs. Her hair was nice shade of orange that was formed into a ponytail with a black band, an interesting sight considering I had blond hair, which was formed into it's own ponytail. She had freckles that resembled a blush across her cheeks and a bit of her nose, although they weren't very obvious. She looked my age, and was much shorter than me, almost by an entire head. Around her neck was a pendent, and I quickly realized I had my own, although hers was of a lesser make. It seemed to be a royal crest of some kind.

A loyalist, then. But to what kingdom?

Hyrule.

I shifted my legs, lowering my sword to my side before speaking,"What kingdom is Hyrule? Is it the one that reigns here?" She growled, seemly on the verge of strangling me, sword or no.

"It's your kingdom, you idiot! Why are you asking me such stupid questions? Can't you remember the very crown you serve?"

"I can't."

She paused, staring me down.

"You're kidding, right?"

I seethed my sword, the action feeling natural even as the sword entered a sheathe I didn't know was there.

"No... I'm not. I woke up in that pond, clad in dirty clothes and weaponry I didn't know I could use. I don't know who I am, I don't know who I was." Even though I tried, I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. "Please, tell me..."

I swallowed, meeting her gaze.

"Tell me who I am."