Chapter Fifteen

Walking out of the cell, he found Silas and Abel playing with some building blocks. Apparently, Heilan had hunted down some more games suitable to their age. A hard task when they were still unable to simply go outside and play. Silas looked over at him and beamed, running over and gripping his arm. Abel moved over too but was more hesitant, his eyes looking at Tyreol's face. Tyreol realised his face his was still partially shifted. The pups hadn't seen that happen yet. Even when Silas was in danger, he had managed to force his wolf back by the time they returned to the rooms.  

"You look wolfy?" Silas commented idly, but there was no fear from his pup. Tyreol beamed and span the boy around before picking him up. Silas's reached out and traced the wrinkles in Tyreol's forehead from the slight shift in his features. Curiosity filled the boy's eyes and it was a refreshing feeling in Tyreol's chest. 

"I am a wolf," Tyreol purred, kissing Silas's cheek. His wolf deeply amused by Silas. "And you are very lucky and brave. Next time, please don't leave the doorway. We never truly know how new tributes are going to react and you are young. People assume the worst. I am grateful you told him I haven't hurt you. But I'd rather not have you in danger, pup."

"Yes, Master. I'll stay by the door in future," Silas grinned cheekily but his words were sincere. His hand moved to touch Tyreol's ears. 

"See that you do, pup," Tyreol chuckled, letting Silas land back on the ground. He grabbed Abel and kissed the other boy's cheek too. Abel clung to him for a moment before the boys went back to their games.  He looked around and found Paul. The teenager was next to Julia, the girl apparently helping him with his numbers. 

Paul was frustrated and embarrassed about his lack of knowledge compared to the twins. It had been clear the day before just how much he didn't know compared with the younger twins. Kaydan had been kind to him but the man hadn't quite been able to hide the fact Paul didn't know what many his age did. The twins, while they hadn't known what numbers had looked like, had known how to add, subtract plus their timetables. Paul knew none of it. He hadn't even known what his own name had looked like before Kayden had written it down for him.

Julia looked up over at Tyreol as he approached. Obviously noticing how the unnamed man did not come out after him. He gave her a warning look but she shrugged. Nodding to Paul, who was being to look slightly distressed at the beans on the table in front of him. Taking the hint, Tyreol walked over and took a seat, pulling Paul into his lap. Unsurprised when the boy made a noise of complaint and frustration. His hand-thrown his pen to the table, leaning against Tyreol's broad chest for comfort.

"Paul?" Tyreol asked gently, rubbing his back soothingly.

"I don't get it!" Paul complained, "I can't get my head to remember these times tables. I can do 1, anyone can do 1. I get 2, but the rest?" He made a noise of frustration, burying his head in his hands. "Why am I so stupid?"

"Hush. You're not stupid, don't call yourself that" Tyreol scolded, stroking Paul's back. "It's not your fault you haven't been taught," he reassured. One of the many things that were not Paul's fault and could not be helped.

"But..." Paul whined. 

"It takes everyone time Paul, and it has only been a day, you can't expect to remember them all in a day," Tyreol pointed out, a gentle smile on his face.