Chapter 3

The voicemail system's robotic voice replaced the eerie electronic one prompting me to press nine to save the message. On autopilot, with trembling hands, I pressed the nine button, returning the receiver to its base when the robotic voice announced message saved. As far as messages go that one was super creepy, calling me a whore and saying the entire student body wants me to go away. I barely talked to anyone here, what could I have possibly done to make someone so angry at me?

A thump outside the door drew my attention just as a folded sheet of white paper slid under the small crack into the room. I froze, my eyes glued to the paper. Was this another message from the caller? My internal questions were met with silence. Either the person who stuck the note under my door was as quiet as a mouse in their retreat, or they were still out there waiting for me. Sucking in and biting the right side of my bottom lip, I weighed my options. I could stay here for the rest of my life staring at the note on the floor, or I could walk across the room and see what it said. The latter being the more reasonable option, I cautiously approached the door, stepping as quietly as I could. There probably wasn't anyone lying in wait on the other side of the door ready to spring into the room when I pick up the note and...and... Well, I'm not really sure what they would do which, is why there probably wasn't anyone waiting for me on the other side of that door.

Stopping just out of reach of the door's swing I realized the note was pushed entirely into the room. Short of someone lying with their face pressed to the floor of the hall no one would know if I picked up the note. That realization didn't stop me from holding my breath as I jolted forward, snatching the paper and leaping back towards the bathroom, prepared to barricade myself in the space if needed. When the door to my room remained closed, I released the breath I was holding, taking several deep ones to try to calm my quivering hands; a trembling paper wasn't the easiest thing to read. Someone had ripped a flyer about the football game off the dorm wall, using the blank back to write a message in bubbly handwriting.

So, you've probably figured out they took all of your stuff, Sorry ☹, that's totally shit. They told us not to help you or they'll come down on us tenfold what they're doing to you.

They actually used the word tenfold, like we are back in the days of no electricity or something! My dad could probably smooth things out for me, but I'd rather not make my life here a living hell while he sorts it out. Still, I think what they are doing to you is utter bullshit. I figure the least I can do is help you get your stuff back. Well, not actually help you, because, you know, tenfold, (I looked it up. It's bad) but I can tell you what I overheard and saw. They said they were going to split everything up across the top ten places to have sex on grounds. I saw them carry some of your things up into the bell tower. I'm not sure where the other nine locations are. Sorry. ☹ Good Luck.

I read the note three more times trying to make sense of what I was seeing. What the hell?! The whole dorm was in on this, and someone hated me enough to threaten an entire building full of people?! I don't even talk to anyone! How could anyone here hate me that much already? I began pacing circles in the small space. This didn't make sense. What was I missing? Ok, what did I know? Someone hated me enough to take my stuff, leave a creepy message, and threaten an entire building. Possibly someone else felt a little bad, or at least bad enough to slip me a note; unless the note was a trick. Could I trust the note? Either it was a part of the whole scheme, a tool to lure me out of my room, or it was a legitimate attempt to help me out. If it was a trap, I'd be stupid to go to the bell tower. On the other hand, this was the only lead I had, and it explained why Odessa and an entire building full of people were suddenly are anyplace but here. I had literally never seen the dorm this empty, even on a Saturday night.

I could stick to plan A, to wait around for Odessa, but if the note was right, Odessa wasn't going to be much help. Hell, she might not even come back as long as I was hanging out here. Maybe I should go to the admin building? This really seemed like the sort of thing admin was here for. College is all about adulting for the first time, but we weren't expected to do everything on our own, and this had definitely crossed into the find a real adult category. What time is it? Can I make it over there before they close? I turned my wrist to look at my watch. Crap. The administration office would be long since abandoned for the night. If I wanted to make anything happen tonight, I was on my own.

I paced back and forth between the bed and the bathroom as I thought. I could sit in this empty room all night, which at some point was going to become a problem because they took my freaking toilet paper, or I could go out and try to find my stuff. At the very least I could check the bell tower. If the note was telling the truth, I'd get some of my stuff back. And if the bell tower thing turned out to be on the up and up, I could go...go where? I hadn't exactly been getting many, by that I mean any, offers to check out the hot spots for public hookups on grounds. I guess I could go over to the library and try to figure out what the other nine best spots for sex on grounds are. That sort of list had to be posted online somewhere...right? Like a Buzzfeed's Top Ten Places Wiltshire Students Are Loving Getting It On.

Ok not the strongest plan, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances. My eyes swept the empty room landing on my backpack. I groaned. It was heavy but considering the contents of that bag literally amounted to my last remaining belongings leaving it behind seemed like a bad idea. Hoisting the overloaded school bag onto my sore shoulders, I stepped out into the vacant hallway. Plan B was in motion, and it better work because I didn't have a Plan C.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾 To be continued 🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾