Chapter 15

I jumped up again, this time running straight into the wall that was Tanner's chest. When we sat back down at the table the last time I jumped up, he'd opted for the seat on my opposite side, claiming the space between me and the kitchen. This put him right in my path when I decided to bolt. Tanner firmly gripped my shoulders as he extended his arms pushing me back from him. I blinked rapidly trying to hold back the tears that threatened to fall.

"Hey," Tanner's voice was low and soft, a mix of concern and indecision showed on his face, "What did you remember? Don't just bolt; slow down, tell me what's wrong."

I bit down on my lip trying to use the pain to shut down the impending waterworks. "The note, it said anyone who helped would get it ten times worse." I gestured with my hands as I spoke, the sleeves of the too large sweatshirt flopping wildly. "I don't want them coming after you guys. If I leave now, they might not know what you did, you might still be safe."

"What are you going to do? Not talk to anyone at all for the next four years? Drop out of school?"

"Um..." I hadn't thought that far ahead yet; I only just remembered what the note said. Why was he fighting me on this? I would figure all of that out later. Right now, I needed to get out of here before it was too late.

"Ye aren't seriously considering dropping out of Wiltshire," Braxton scoffed clenching and unclenching his fists on the table, "do ye know what kind of opportunities a degree from here can offer?"

Yeah, I did, that's why I was so excited to get the Atherton scholarship, it was basically my ticket to anything I wanted to do in life. With most college degrees where you went only followed you into the first couple of years of life out into the real world, and then it was less about where you went but what you'd done since then, not a Wiltshire degree. A Wiltshire degree was like a golden ticket that never expired, it opened doors, got you meetings and offers you never could have otherwise dreamed of. Changing career paths? Ah, you went to Wiltshire, you can handle this. Took time off? No need to explain, you're a Gryphaera. Wiltshire wasn't someplace you just walked away from on a whim, but if I was toxic here maybe walking away was exactly what I needed to do.

"Cali, someone is clearly trying to scare and isolate you, and it seems like they are doing a pretty good job. Don't worry about us. No one is going to mess with us, and if they try, we can handle them. You're stuck with us for the time being. It isn't up for discussion." A reassuring smile warmed Tanner's face as he pulled me in for a hug. I resisted the urge to sink into him. Tanner must have mistaken my stiffness for an unwillingness to be close because he quickly released me much too soon. Stepping back to create some space between us Tanner gave my arm one last squeeze before releasing his hold on me.

I chewed my lip. The guys seem to consider the topic closed, but was it? Academically and professionally Wiltshire was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but was it worth being miserable while I was here? Even before yesterday, I had trouble fitting in here; Tanner and his friends were the first Wiltshire students I had an actual conversation with. Maybe all of this happening was the sign I needed to finally accept that I should cut my losses. One of the other schools I was admitted to would probably admit me for the spring semester. Of course, I wouldn't have the benefit of a Wiltshire education and diploma, and I'd have to worry about finding scholarship money to pay for another school, my Atherton scholarship was only good for study at Wiltshire, but if that's what I needed to do... I sighed; this wasn't a decision to make rashly. I would meet with the dean and go from there. If Tanner and his friends wanted to stick around for the time being, well, they were fully informed, but I'd force them out if I needed to, to protect them.