Chapter 6

All afternoon, thick grey clouds had loomed over Wiltshire threatening to burst. As we made our way to Tanner's car, the sky finally made good on the threat, unleashing the most torrential downpour I have ever seen. As the ice-cold drops expelled themselves from the sky, I threw my hands over my head in a futile attempt to shield myself from them, scanning the area for cover as I ducked my head down. Unfortunately, we were in the middle of one of Wiltshire's many expansive lawns, meaning there was no place close to run to.

"Damn," Tanner shouted over the roar of the rain. "We are only a third of the way to my car. Do you want to make a run for it or head back to the tower and wait it out?" Thoroughly soaked to the bone within moments of the skies opening up I didn't see much of a point in going back, not when this didn't seem like the type of storm to teeter out quickly.

"I'm ok making a run for it if you are; your call." I winced, the raindrops pelting my skin. Who knew rain could hurt? This is probably why ancient people thought the weather was controlled by vengeful gods because right now the sky seems legit angry.

"I'm game. Yell if I'm going too fast." Tightening his grip on my loose clothing Tanner took off. While Tanner was moving at an easy lope, I had to book it to keep up with his long legs. Shoulders hunched against the onslaught of rain, we raced down the paths not bothering to avoid the puddles; our feet were already squishing in their shoes, what good would avoiding the puddles do? After a while Tanner left the path, cutting across the manicured lawn that was quickly becoming more swamp than grass. After I almost ate it on a particularly slick patch of ground Tanner slowed our pace to a walk, carefully plotting a path through the least affected areas.

"That's me right there; the blue Audi," Tanner called over the pounding rain as we approached a parking lot. Touching the trunk of an Audi S7, the lock released allowing Tanner to lift the hatch.

"Go ahead and get in." Tanner motioned to the passenger side with his head as he shifted my saturated belonging around in his trunk. I hesitated. Here I was covered in mud and Tanner's car was super pristine; I really did not want to get in there like this. "Really, get in," Tanner yelled dashing around to his own side of the car. Closing my eyes, I opened the door ducking in without looking. Maybe if I don't see how much of a mess I'm making it wouldn't be as bad. Eyes still shut tightly I heard Tanner open his door and hop in, wrenching the door shut behind him.

"Man, I don't think I've ever seen a storm like this. This is crazy," Tanner exclaimed, shaking the water out of his eyes as he groped for something in the back seat. Turning back around he held out a granola bar and bottled water. "Here, take these. I don't want you keeling over on me; you look ready to collapse. I should probably make you wait in the car while I run back up there."

Did he really just say that? Cocking my head to the side and crossing my arms I turned in my seat to face Tanner. "Make me?" I challenged. "Yeah, good luck on that. I'm not waiting in the car." At least he had the decency to cringe, I thought as I leveled him with an annoyed gaze. I hate it when guys think they can tell me what to do.

"Ok, make you might not have been the best way to phrase that. What I meant was offer to let you stay here and dry out...if you'd like," he rambled, trying to backtrack from his caveman statement.

"I would not like," I bit out, my words almost as hard as the glare I was giving him. Figures he would be a chauvinistic pig. Well maybe part of me would like, I was cold, wet, and tired after all, but now that he said that I definitely couldn't just sit here in his car like a helpless damsel in distress.

"Okaaay...will you at least take the food and water? Please?" Tanner held the prepackaged items out like a peace offering. I eyed them, feeling some of my self-righteous resolve slipping away. The granola bar was probably a good idea; I did feel a little light headed. Sighing, I rolled my eyes reaching out to accept the items.