Chapter 7-One Step Closer

The half an hour with Divya went in a blink of an eye. Work never seemed to be this fun to Shikhar. It was great getting to know Divya. She had great taste in literature and films. It was great to know she was just like him. Not at all a party person, happy in her own shell. The bell rang suddenly. It was time for Divya to leave. While Divya got up to leave reluctantly, she wished Shikhar would ask her to stay back. Though she knew it was just her little hearts wish. She was about to leave, when he called from behind and said, "Let's meet at the Cafe today at 6:00 p.m." Her smile grew wider as she remembered she will meet him again.
************************************

Drishti was blushing profusely. Though that incident was nothing short of shock, she was happy, that he cared, that he was jealous. After that incident she didn't even meet him. She got up and went to the canteen. She was searching for him, because of which she didn't notice the "wet floor" sign. She slipped. She closed her eyes and was ready to feel the pain that would surge through her once her body came in contact with the floor. But before something like that could happen, she felt a strong arm around her waist pulling her up. She opened her eyes. She was lost in his eyes.
After a while both of them came out of the trance. She adjusted her clothes and tucked her hair behind her ears.
"Tum theek toh ho na? Chhot toh nahi lagi na?". He asked her. The concern was visible in his eyes and voice.
She nodded her head. He lead her to a chair nearby and made her sit there.
He went to the cafeteria and brought a meal for her. She was stunned to see this caring nature of his.
He asked her to have her lunch.
"Subah se iss meeting ke chakkar mein lagi hui ho kuch khaa bhi lo, warna pata nahi kahaan gir jaogi."
"Oho keh bhi kaun raha hai? Jo khud apne khaane ko pichle kuch hafton se neglect kar raha hai woh kisi aur ko kuch nahi bol sakta." Drishti gave it back to him.
Rakshit was not expecting this comeback. He looked at her dumbfounded and then burst into laughter. Finally the ice was broken.
They sat down and had their lunch together.
"Tumne kaafi achcha presentation diya tha. Main bhi impress ho gaya. Laga nahi tha ki tum pehli Baar mein itna achcha kar logi."
"Aakhir mera business partner kaun hai? Achcha toh karna hi tha."
"Mera ismein koi role nahi tha. Jo kiya tumne khud kiya. Tum ho hi itni brilliant, intelligent aur talented."
"Zyaada senti banne ki zaroorat nahi hai. Yeh hum dono ki jeet hai aur humein iss jeet ko celebrate karna chahiye. What say?"
"Theek hai. Toh aaj shaam ko cafe chalte hai."
"Okay done!" Drishti was excited. Finally she was going on a coffee date with him. Though not an official one. But still a date is a date is a date.
"Aaj jo bhi hua uss meeting ke baad I am sorry for that. Main aisa karna nahi chahata tha par mere paas koi aur option bhi nahi tha."
"You do give the best hugs Rakshit. Mujhe aur aise Jadoo ki jhappiyaan dete rehna." She winked at him.
Rakshit couldn't believe his ears. He felt butterflies fluttering in his stomach. He kept looking at the door, that was still vibrating, after it was shut by Drishti.
*******************************

Divya was on the ninth cloud. She was going to spend more time with Shikhar. She hadn't told her sister about the appointment or about Shikhar. There were no secrets between them. At first she wanted to text her but then she decided against it and called her up. Drishti was in her cabin going through some e-mails when she saw her phone was ringing. It was Divya. She picked it up, "Haan bol Divi."
"Di you are the best. I love you Di" she went on to kiss loudly on the phone.
"Are wah! Kya baat hai aaj rab mujhpe itna meherban kyu ho gaya bhai? Kya baat hai bahut khush lag rahi hai tu?"
"Di aaj main hospital aayi thi. Counselling ke liye. I am sorry maine aapse iss baare mein kuch bhi discuss nahi kiya.Par di main pichle teen saalon se disturbed thi. Aur mujhe madad ki sakht zaroorat thi. Isliye maine yeh decision liya. Aur yeh meri life ka best decision hai aisa mujhe lag raha hai."
"Yeh baat main jaanti thi ki tujhe woh baat abhi bhi pareshaan karti hai. Jaanti hai na ki tujh mujhse kuch nahi chhupa sakti. Aur mujhe lagta hai yeh teri life ka sabse achcha decision hai jo tune khud liya hai. I am so proud of you. Pata nahi tu kab itni badi aur samajhdar ho gayi. Lagta hai meri job ab khatre main hai. Mummy ki favourite ab tu na ban jaye kahin."
Divya smiled at this. No matter how serious or emotional the situation she manages to bring a smile on everyone's face.
"Waise aaj main baahar apne dost ke saath cafe jaa rahi hoon......."
Before Divya could complete her sentence Drishti interrupted her, "Kaun dost kaisa dost ? Yeh kaunsa dost hai jiske baare mein main nahi jaanti?"
"Di shant ho jao. Aap ek baar ghar aa jao phirr fursat se baithkar baatein karenge na. Bye Di" Saying this Divya disconnected the call. Drishti was left confused on the other end.
************************************

Divya waited for him at the Cafe. She was nervous and excited. It was first time since the past three years that she was hanging out with someone, other than her sister. She was surfing the internet when she heard footsteps getting closer to her. She looked back to find Shikhar walking towards her.
" I am so sorry main late ho gaya. Tumhe zyaada wait toh nahi karna pada na?"
"Are nahi nahi! Main toh bas kuch der pehle aayi thi."
"Waise tumne itni der kya kiya. Ghar toh nahi gayi na tum?"
"Ghar nahi gayi bas window shopping kar rahi thi."
"Chalo kuch order kar lete hai."
After they ordered for their pastries and coffees Shikhar started telling her about himself. She was listening to him with all her ears. She felt like the time passed very quickly when she was with him. He had this contagious energy that spread to all the nearby people. She just wanted him to be with her forever.
************************************

After finishing all their work Drishti and Rakshit headed towards the cafe. Drishti was lost in her own world of thoughts. Rakshit realised that though her body was present her mind was wandering somewhere else. To bring back her attention he spoke first, "Drishti tum kahaan khoyi hui ho?"
"Are kuch nahi bas Divi ke baare mein soch rahi thi."
Suddenly a bike speeded towards their car Rakshit deflected from it's path right on time. He stopped the car. Drishti was shocked from the sudden turn of events. Rakshit removed her seat belt and cupped her face. "Tumhe kuch hua toh nahi hai?"
"Nahi main theek hoon."
"Na jane aise logon ke wajah se kitne masoomon ki jaan chali jaati hai. Aur phirr unka parivaar bhi uss gam mein saari zindagi guzarta hai. Par inhein toh kisi ki fikr nahi hai."
The pain and anger was very evident in his voice and words. She got to know one thing, he hated rash drivers more than anything but she didn't know the reason. They drove of from there without talking much.
Rakshit spoke to her after a while,"Mahi ka bhi death ek car accident mein hua tha."
This one line was enough for her to understand his pain. She had seen Mahi's photos but never heard much about her.
For Rakshit the incident that happened was more than a shock. He had already lost his sister, now he did not wanted to lose Drishti also.
They reached the Cafe. While Rakshit went to park the car, Drishti went inside to get a table for the two of them. That's when she saw her. It was Divya with her 'best friend'. Drishti sat on a table opposite to theirs. She could see her sister's glowing face even from this distance. Drishti was happy that finally Divya had overcome her aloofness.
************************************
Thank you so much guys for all the love and appreciation. Keep 'em coming. Do let me know your views and thoughts on this part. Pls vote if you liked. And if you want me to write a one shot on any scene pls let me know.
Lots of love
Anu♥