Chapter 2

Arthit's POV

Finally, I am back at the office. I've had to take the clients for a field visit showing them approximately where all the underground work should be laid out. After our visit, I had to entertain them with nice dinner, and then accompany them to the airport. It's already 8:45pm now, and I am still stuck in traffic heading back to the office. I hope I reach back before that cafe closes. I may have to stay at a hotel for the night, and figure things out tonight. I hope Popeye is okay. He is probably hiding under the coffee table again.

"Sir, we are here."

"Thanks, keep the change."

Crap! I need to hurry. It's already 9:05 pm. Damn it! The lights are out. I knock on the door, but no one answers. Eh, there's a note on the door.

Hello Mister,

I have a family emergency, so I couldn't wait any longer. You can retrieve your things on the 36th floor. Please use code 0062 for access.

Thanks,
Reena

36th floor? I've never been up there before. All the floors above the 29th needed an access code, our company only occupied the 16th and 17th floor of the building. I guess I can drop off my work files before I go get my stuff.

Eh, where's my wallet? It's not in any of my pockets. Fuck! Did I drop it in the taxi? Why me? Why the fuck today? Who the hell did I kill in my past life to deserve this? Huhhhh... take a deep breath Arthit. You can get through this. Just the thought of having to report my missing wallet is irritating enough.

I reach the front door of my office to find it closed as expected as everyone is gone for the day. Shit!!! Seriously fuck! Fuck! Fuck! My employee ID is in my wallet too. I took it off during dinner. Why of all days? Now, I've got no cash, no cards, no place to go, and I can't even stay in the office for the night. I bang my head against the door, hoping this is just some nightmare I can wakeup from.

I drag my feet back to the elevators, and press the button to go up. I punch the access code 0062 for the 36th floor as instructed. Upon arriving, I noticed the whole floor is open. There's no additional doors to enter. I cautiously step out of the elevator. The office looks very modern with clean simple lines to it's design. It looks so different from all the other floors I've been to including our company.

I don't see anyone at the front desk. After all, it is past 9 in the evening. Most people would have left already.

"Hello?"

No one answers. I walked further in the office space looking around for any sign of life. The lights are dimmed, all the cubicles are empty.

"Hello? Anybody here?"

"In here." Someone answered from a distance.

It came from behind me on the left, so I quickly turned my heels and walked towards that way, and then I saw a hallway. At the far end corner, I found a huge office with frosted glass and soft lights on. I hesitantly walked towards the lit office. I knocked on the glass door nervously not knowing what or who to expect.

"Come in."

"Hi, I'm sorry to bother you, but I think my belongings are somewhere here."

The man seemed busy as he hasn't looked up from his huge monitor yet. He continued to furiously click away on his keyboard and I didn't know what to do without being rude, but I really wanted to get on with my miserable evening.

"Uhm..." I tried again.

"Just give me a second."

I nodded apologetically for disturbing him but he wouldn't have seen it anyway since he still didn't look up. I glanced at the name plaque sitting on his desk.