Chapter 35

"You ready?" Coco asked as he leaned against the doorframe to look into their bedroom. He found Roxy on the edge of the bed, her eyes glazed over as she stared at the closet door. Dressed in all black, her hair pulled back plainly and wearing some light makeup he could see she was physically ready but that's not what he meant by that question.

"Yeah," she said quietly. "They here?"

Coco just nodded.

"I hate this."

"12 more hours and it's done," he promised her. "Then he's in the ground, we come home and SAMCRO stays north."

"It's not that easy," she whimpered.

"I'm gonna make it as easy as I can," he finally stepped into the bedroom, "But right now we gotta go."

Roxy stood up and walked over to Coco, taking his hand, when she heard Chibs' voice from Mateo's room. She looked at Coco for a moment, confused, before hurrying to see what was going on.

"What's this?" She asked, seeing Chibs crouched down speaking to Mateo as he played.

"Just seeing how he's feeling," Chibs said without looking up at her.

"He's still tired and sore," she told him. "He needs to rest."

"He isn't coming?" Chibs asked her, finally meeting her stare.

"No," Roxy swallowed hard. "He hardly understands and he's only a few days out of surgery, Filip. It's not appropriate."

"That was his father," Chibs said in a low voice as he stood. "The boy should be there."

"It's not what's best for Mateo," Roxy said forcefully.

"You ask him?" Chibs asked.

"Hey," Coco growled. "Back off, old man."

Chibs sneered and took a threatening step toward Coco. "Twice your age and I'll still kick your teeth in."

"This is another reason he's not going," Roxy said, shoving Chibs back. "And don't threaten my family."

"Everything alright?" Bishop interrupted from the hall.

"Aye," Chibs gave them a clearly fake smile, "It's peachy."

"Good," Bishop nodded. "We should get going."

Roxy stood in place, waiting for Chibs to exit first, when she saw the patch on Mateo's bookshelf. "What the fuck is that?" She asked, snatching it and the reaper ring behind it. "Unholy Ones?" She gasped. "Are you fucking kidding me? Did you give my son this shit?" With every word her voice rose louder.

"All Hap wanted was to know his boy."

Roxy scoffed. "Bull. Shit."

"Not in front of the kid," Coco told them both forcefully.

"Go," she snapped at Chibs. "Have your death march."

Chibs glared at her and, knowing he was probably acting out of grief and not thinking straight, left the room.

"Mommy?" Mateo said sheepishly.

"Yes honey?" She whimpered.

Mateo looked at Bishop and Coco before looking at Roxy again. "Are you leaving?"

"Just for a few hours," she said, getting down on her knees beside him. "We have to say goodbye."

"Because Happy went to Heaven?"

Roxy wanted to laugh bitterly but she just nodded. "Yeah."

"I want you to stay."

"Baby," she sighed. "I know, I just," she paused. "I have to go. I'll be back as soon as I can okay?"