Chapter 6

A/N stream Epiphany luvs

"Is it bad that I really want to join them?" I whispered to Peter.

"No, I do too," he replied. We were both watching Mantis and Drax jump around; this planet clearly wasn't as big as Earth, because there was less gravity. Or maybe it was due to the spin of its axis and the resultant accelera- getting off topic a little.

I zoned back in to hear Tony's plan.

"Are you yawning? Are you even listening to me, while I'm breaking it down? What did I just say?" Drax and Mantis had stopped bouncing, but Drax looked reasonably bored.

"I zoned out as soon as you said 'we need a plan,'" Drax replied.

"Okay Mr. Clean is on his own page."

"You see, not winging it isn't really what we do," Star-Lord interrupted.

"Er, what is it that they do?" Peter questioned, raising his hand like in class. You can take the boy out of the school but not the school out of the boy.

"Kick names, take ass!" Mantis replied. Drax mumbled an agreement.

Both Peter and I glanced up at Tony again. I've never seen a man look so done.

"Alright, just get over here, please. Mr Lord, can you get-"

"Mr Lord, Star-Lord is fine," said man chuckled. He then beckoned his teammates over.

"We gotta coalesce, ok? Because if all we come at him with is a plucky attitude-"

"Dude, don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means," Star-Lord interrupted again. That was the second time he butted in over Tony, and he was already at the end of his tether.

"We're optimistic, yes, and I like your plan. Except, it sucks, so why don't you let me do the plan, and then maybe it won't."

"Tell him about the dance-off to save the universe." Drax said.

"What dance-off?" I asked.

"It's nothing."

"Like in Footloose, the movie?" Peter linked the idea.

"Exactly like Footloose," Star-Lord gasped happily. "Is it still the greatest movie in history?"

"It never was." I butted in. I received an incredulous look in reply.

"Don't encourage this, all right?" Tony stopped us right there.

"Okay."

"We're getting no help from Flash Gordon here." Tony said to no one in particular.

"Flash Gordon?" Peter questioned.

"By the way, that's a compliment. Don't forget, I'm half human. So that 50% of me that's stupid... that's 100% you." Star-lord gradually got closer while pointing an accusing finger at Tony's chest.

"Your math is blowing my mind."

Both men stood staring stubbornly at each other for long seconds. I could feel the testosterone washing off them in waves. I had to break the silence.

"Ok edge lords, let's tone down the testosterone," I said sarcastically. Peter sniggered behind me.

"It's Star-Lord, not edge lord," one of them replied, not getting my sarcasm.

"Yeah, yeah, sure whatever. But I think what-" I cut off with a gasp. I had locked eyes with Star-Lord for the first time, and something happened. Everything zoned out around me as an image was brought up to me. It showed a scene of the man before me, along with Drax and two other creatures gripping each other's hands, floating in a purple cloud of smoke and lights.

I was suddenly brought back to reality with Peter standing in front of me, shaking my shoulders.

"Hey! Hey!" he yelled at me. "What just happened?" he said after seeing me register him.

I couldn't focus. Immediately I realised what the vision I had had meant. It was a connection I had with Star-Lord, if only for a brief second. I pushed Peter aside, perhaps slightly too rough, and stared at Star-Lord again.

"You've held the Power stone, haven't you?" I questioned. "Both you and Drax."

"Yeah," Star-Lord looked at me confused. "How did you know that?"

"I don't- I don't know..." I looked up at everyone. "It's what... it's what I was infused with."

This had never happened before. Come to think of it, ever since we left Earth, I hadn't been feeling right. I'd felt... different. More powerful.

I shared my realisation with the others around me.

"My theory is, is that you're getting closer to your power source. You've been infused with something that was infused with something else; you're bound to remain connected to the original object," Tony helpfully supplied after a moment's thought. "I think you're powers will increase and become more damaging the closer you get to the stone, and therefore Thanos."

"That's absolutely terrifying. Thanks," I replied in typical gen Z tone. Peter giggled again, although slightly worriedly now.

"Does your friend normally do that?" Mantis butted in, seemingly off topic. We followed where she was pointing, and at the end of her finger was Doctor Strange, who I had honestly forgotten about. He was floating in the lotus position, eyes closed and arms spinning with green light. However, his head was jerking about, getting more violent and quick each second.

"Strange! Hey, hey!" Tony yelled as he lunged to grab the wizard, shaking him out of the daze. The wizard collapsed in his arms, taking in his surroundings again and breathing heavily. "You're back, you're alright."

After catching his breath, he supplied an explanation.

"I used the stone to shift through all the possible outcomes of the coming events."

"How many were there?" Peter questioned.

"14,000,605."

"How many did we win?" Tony asked in a slow voice, already dreading the answer.

"One."