Chapter 7

A/N HERE'S WHERE THE PLOT CHANGES FROM MY FIRST BOOK

We didn't get long enough to process what Strange had said. This was because I suddenly doubled over.

I clutched by stomach as a feeling grew inside. It wasn't pain, but it definitely wasn't a feeling I was enjoying. I was emitting an aura of violet light, dark dust playing around the clouds of power.

And almost as instantly as it appeared, the pain was gone along with the cloud around me. I felt invigorated; with much more energy. I revelled in it for a few seconds before realising what this meant.

"Thanos is coming."

———LINEBREAK———

"Yeah, you're much more of a Thanos," Strange said, flicking a small stone up and down in his left hand. I sat beside him, staring down the alien before me. He was at least 6 and a half feet tall, and he was bald and purple. On his left hand rested the golden Infinity Gauntlet the Guardians had told us about, and in it rested four stones: the blue, the orange, the red, and of course, the purple. Space, Soul, Reality, Power.

"I can see you've been busy with your mission," I said in reference to his gauntlet. "Pretty jewellery."

He brushed aside my sarcastic comment.

"I take it Maw is dead," he returned in a deep voice. Strange nodded while I continued to take in the being before me.

He sighed, "he will be mourned. But still, he completed his mission."

"You may regret that," Strange countered. "He brought you face to face with a master of the mystic arts."

"Is this your home planet?" I asked after a moment's silence.

"Yes, Titan." Thanos brushes his hand around him, and the scene turned bright. It showed a planet thriving, a civilisation I can only assume was turned to dust.

"Titan was a wonderful planet, but like everywhere else it had the problem of world hunger. I proposed a cull; a random selection of deaths to decrease food demand. They called me blood-thirsty, psychotic. And now," he wiped his hand again to return the natural scenery, "it's this. Just as I predicted, the world turned to starvation."

"Congratulations, you're a prophet." Both of us were attacking Thanos with waves of sarcasm.

"I'm a survivor."

"Who wants to murder trillions," I said.

"The hardest choices require the strongest wills," Thanos said angrily. He was annoyed at being sassed by a teenager, I could tell.

"I think you will find all of our wills equal to yours," Strange replied. Both of us stepped up; Strange with his fist-shields, and I with a swirling cloud of purple. I felt a burning in my stomach and the cloud around me cackled with electricity as I was lifted off the ground. Being less than 10 feet away from your source of power had its perks.

"All?" He was cut off as a building fell from the sky, pushed by the one and only Iron Man. It crushed Thanos instantly.

"That was easy. Is that it?" I asked.

I got my answer as the building shattered into tiny pieces, suddenly launched back at Tony. He was hit by many, but it didn't create a huge amount of damage.

Next, Peter leapt in, covering Thanos's eyes with a web. Drax followed and sliced at him with large knives, just as I swooped in to help with the damage. Drax was quickly slammed off to the side, and I retreated slightly for the next stage in the plan.

A portal created by Strange popped up beside Thanos. Out came Peter again, leaping at Thanos's head and tying him in knots.

"Magic! More magic! Magic with a kick!" he yelled every time he teleported.

"Magic with a- AH!" He had been slammed down by Thanos's hand.

"Peter!" I yelled, and ran in to attack.

"Insect," he growled and threw my best friend out to the side. I launched a purple laser straight at his shoulder as revenge, pushing him back as he turned to face me.

"You're nothing more than a failed experiment, child," he drawled. "You were meant to have a higher purpose, but I should've known I couldn't trust simple humans to carry out the job."

"Sorry to disappoint, but so far these powers have only helped me. Maybe I owe you thanks," I joked.

"Or maybe this is when they fail!" Thanos charged me, punching at my gut with the gauntlet as I narrowly avoided his huge fist. I thrust another laser at his chest, knocking him back yet again, but not enough to disable him.

I threw debris at him, picking up random rocks and metal slabs and sharpening them as I did so. He simply cried out with effort and clenched his fist, the reality stone glowing a bright scarlet. I soon found myself engulfed with metal bats, flying out from my previous attack.

I screamed as they hit me, but channelled energy I didn't know I still had, and a bright flash of purple destroyed them all. I grinned back at the Titan.

"Like I said!" I cried. "Yet to fail me."

The sky started to darken as a huge ship began to block out the light from above. I dove out the way as it crashed into Thanos, pushing him backwards. A blue alien jumped out of the ship and brandished a glowing sword as she stared down the Titan.

"You should've killed me when you had the chance."

"It would've been a waste of parts!"

She jumped at him, battering in with a well practiced ease, as if she knew where he would move next. It was then Star-Lord threw out a small disk that quickly shot out electricity and bound Thanos's hand to the ground. Strange created some long, red, glowy ropes (which I thought were super cool) and tied up Thanos's right hand while Drax lunged for his feet. Tony, Peter and I made for his left hand with the gauntlet while Strange created a portal over the Titan's head that Mantis jumped out of. Immediately, she whispered, "sleep!".

"He is strong, but he mourns. He is grieving," Mantis warned us. Peter and I began wiggling the Titan's oversized jewellery off him.

"Mourning? What could this dude have to mourn?" Star-Lord questioned, chuckling. Mantis didn't return the laugh.

The blue alien spoke up from behind Star-Lord. Neither had a job to do with holding down Thanos. "Gamora."

The outlaw spun to face her. "What?"

"He left to Vormir with Gamora to get the soul stone. He came back alone with the stone."

Star-Lord turned again to face Thanos. "What did you do to her?!"

"Gamora... my Gamora..."

"Oh no. No she's not!" He was getting frustrated, blinded with rage. "Where is she?!"

"I had... to..."

"No!" Star-Lord choked out. His anger was wet and hot as tears streamed his cheeks. "No! No, you didn't. You- you didn't have to..."

"Quill! Don't engage!" Stark tried to call out.

"We've nearly got this off okay?" I agreed, but it was too late. We almost had the gauntlet off when Star-Lord punched Thanos.