Chapter 3

*3 Years Later. Clara is 15*

I wake up in the dormitories. I didn't see Erik last night but I'm sure he didn't mind.

Today at Ballet practice they tell us that in the next opera a girl is needed. It's a silent roll but the part is that of a dancer. I want the part.

But the dancer has to dance with a partner. Our teacher brings in Adam from the boys class. A 16 year old. He's got beautiful blonde hair and gorgeous brown eyes. He's not as tall as Erik, and he doesn't have the same passion as Erik when he dances.

All the girls are taught the moves. Tomorrow is the audition. After our lesson all the girls split up. Antoinette and I sneak to the kitchen, grabbing some apples, peaches, and some leftover bread. I head to the chapel with her following me.

When we are there her and I make small talk.

"So you trying out for the roll?" She asks.

"Yes. I suppose I am. How about you?"

"No. Adam is to obnoxious and his dancing is sloppy."

"Really? I think he's cute" I sigh dreamily.

"Whatever you say" she rolls her eyes.

I smile. I try to usher her out of the chapel.

She stands her ground.

"Clara Marie Thomas I will come with you where ever it is you go. I am your best friend and will be treated as such" she says.

I'm visibly upset. She's stubborn. She will come or I won't go at all.

I groan in defeat, "You can't tell anyone."

She promises. And we sneak through the vents. When we get to the tunnels she looks around.

"Where are we?"

"The catacombs under the theatre."

"This place is amazing!" She says.

I lead her through careful to step over and avoid Erik's carefully laid traps.

When I arrive at his home I do the secret knock.

I don't see or hear Erik. Strange normally he's home. I hear a whoosh and look behind me.

Erik has a sword pressed against Antoinette's neck.

"Who are you?! Why do you follow? You going to expose us?" He hisses.

"Erik!" I say removing the blade from my friend's neck. He's grown again. Nearly 6 ft but not there yet. I'm only 5.4. He's grown into his white mask and dark wig but the cloak. He wears mostly dark clothes and he's taught himself how to sword fight.

He flashes his eyes at me then my friend sheathing the sword.

"She's a friend" I say reassuringly.

He furrows his brows. But leads us inside the house.

Antoinette is in shock and I have to drag her inside. "You promised you wouldn't say anything" I hiss at her.