Chapter 10

A/N:

Hello, my lovely readers!

How's it going? How've you been? 

It's been a while, I know, but here it is, just as I promised: the next chapter of "Who We Used to Be" is up and ready! And boy, I hope you lot have got some time because this chapter is a biggie!

I hope you enjoy, and don't forget to comment! I love hearing from you all.

Goodbye, my lovelies! :3

The lights in the room flickered, causing Loki to cease in his pacing and smirk, even as they failed completely, and he was thrown into darkness.

When they came back on, a boy stood in the place right outside his cage where no one had stood just seconds before. He was tall and scarred, with messy black hair and green eyes that seemed to shine with an otherworldly power.

The two stared at one another for several tense moments before the god's smirk morphed into slow mocking laughter. "Well isn't this just hilarious?", he spit out, laughter ceasing as his attitude did a complete one-eighty. "Your world under attack, and in your pathetic attempt to save it, you send a child to interrogate me. How desperate you must be". A bloodthirsty grin crawled its way onto the god's face, and behind him, Percy frowned. Loki was many things, but stupid was not one of them.

"We're not children", a whispery voice said from behind him. Loki whipped around, not having sensed anyone else approach. There stood behind him another boy, smaller than the first. He was as pale as the trickster god himself with a mask covering the lower half of his face and eyes like death. "You do not know us", he stated. It was not a question.

The boy's form suddenly flickered, becoming almost transparent as he stepped straight through the walls of the cage only to solidify again once he was on the inside. An odd sort of smoke seemed to curl off of his body, dancing along the walls and floors, calling to him like a siren and yet also filling his heart with dread.

"You will", he continued softly, his calm tone of voice infinitely more intimidating than any yell or scream.

Loki's electric blue eyes widened before narrowing again at the obvious threat. "Who are you?".

A laugh from outside the cage drew his attention to yet another new arrival, this time a girl. She paced impatiently around the circumference of his prison, like a hungry wolf that had been separated from its prey. "How refreshing!", she said loudly in stark contrast to her companion, "It isn't usual we find a god who doesn't already know who we are".

"Why would I know you?", Loki sneered, regaining his composure, "Associating with mortals is beneath me".

"Is it now?", the first boy asked sarcastically, a grin twisting at his lips. He hadn't moved from his position, green eyes still staring with that unnerving light.

"That's funny coming from a being who isn't even immortal". Loki froze.

"Well of course I'm immortal, I'm a god!", he snapped, turning back around to face the wraith that had spoken from within his cage.

"Oh, come now, Frosty", the girl mockingly cooed from the outside, "We all know that's not true".

Loki's blood began to boil at the implications of the nickname.

"The monster who played at being a god", the boy said delightedly, a slightly madness slipping into his voice as he cackled.

"I am not the monster!", Loki sneered, slamming his fist against the glass of his cage, "The mortals took care of that themselves".