prequel

"Don't be such a loser.."

That's what you said under your breath while looking in the fingerprint smugged mirror of the frathouse's upstairs bathroom. You wanted to get away from the overwhelming and drunk crowd while at the same time, waiting for a guy to message you back. Well, not just a guy but a guy named, Bradley, you'd been talking to for almost a month now. He was sweet, well, the sex was great and sometimes you cuddled after. But, lately, he's been showing signs that it could be more than your friends with benefits relationship, especially after he asked you to come to his fraternity's party so, maybe tonight he'll pop the question of officially dating.

At least that's what you thought before stepping into the party. You glanced down at your phone, pressing the home button and only seeing the time. No new messages. No missed calls. Your bottom lip was between your teeth, convincing yourself that this was okay. Why would he be checking his phone when the party is this huge? You could feel the rumble of the bass shake the floor, vibrating against the soles of your sneakers. He had to just be busy, right?

Another deep breath passed your lips, running your fingers through your hair's part and telling yourself a positive affirmation before stepping back into the hectic party. When you stepped out of the bathroom, the sounds of sex roared from the bedrooms lining down the short hall and loud cheering echoed from outside. You slipped your phone into your back pocket, patting your hands at your sides as you walked toward the stairs. Purple and blue lights replaced the regular lighting, making it harder to see where you were going along with the flickering strobe lamps by the DJ system.

You weaved through the horde of people, feeling booze sticking to the bottom of your shoes and kicking around empty solo cups. As you searched for Bradley, the smell of weed hit your face as a group of people smoking it puffed away in the kitchen. You passed a girl holding a bottle of pure vodka, guzzling it down like it was water. You looked over your shoulder, staring at her, almost judging her, until you bumped into someone.

"Shit, I'm sorry!" You immediately apologized even though his cup of whatever spilled onto your best dress.

"No worries, it was pretty shit anyways." He chuckled, checking the cup to see if anything was left.

You glanced up, squinting your eyes as it was still a bit dark, and trying to make out the stranger's face. The black t-shirt he wore was tight around his chest and biceps with a slender silver chain necklace tucked in it. He looked you up and down, focusing more on the new dark stain covering the left half of your chest. He almost laughed again at his goof, but you passed him by to go outside and get some fresh air.

Once you exited the party, you stepped out to the small courtyard area with other people getting away from the chaos inside. You walked to one of the brick pillars, looking down at your dress and groaning at the stain you knew wouldn't come out of the white fabric. You pressed your thumb against your tongue then slowly rubbed it against the stain but only made it worse.

"Hey.. Um, sorry about that." The same voice said to you, making you turn around to the boy again.

"Oh, no. It's fine. Shouldn't have worn this in the first place." You muttered, giving up on the stain.

He was a little tipsy, but enough to remember who you were tomorrow.

"I'm Tom or Tommy." He lifted his hand, grinning.

Tommy. It fit him and his boyish look. But, now that he was in brighter light, he looked familiar.

"Y/N." You nodded, shaking his hand.

He smiled before licking his lips. Tom was surprised he'd never seen you before. But, he was used to seeing tons of people at parties, in the seats of the stadium and reporters with camera crews. Tom almost pinched himself for sounding conceited in his head, but he focused back on you and wasn't sure if his vision was blurry or the outdoor lighting looked nice against your skin.