part two - hot coffees and blue slushies

There was something so satisfying about the first sip of hot coffee. When your chosen beverage cooled down to the right temperature, it wasn't too hot to pass your lips and touch your tongue, so the warmth trailed down your throat along with the taste of the brew hitting your tastebuds. A smile always painted on your lips as you held the cup in your hands, pleased with the taste of it every time. Well that, and Tom was paying.

"Hmm, I love when my fake boyfriend buys me coffee." You teased, tilting your head at him.

Tom was sat across the table, his legs a bit spread while he held his own cup of coffee. His smile was so sweet and friendly. You could tell he had day two hair, seeing all his curls look a little more stiff, but he never had to try hard to look nice, something you wished for.

"Don't forget the blueberry muffin." He pointed out before taking a chunk off of it.

You giggled, "Thanks, but you didn't have to.. Especially after the last three times you have."

"No, no. It's my treat." Tom said, subtly chewing the rest of his food.

After the weekend passed, you and Tom decided to meet at the coffee shop that was a few blocks away from both of your apartments. It was easier to get to, plus the atmosphere of soft jazz and smell of coffee was more comforting than the utter, and sometimes awkward, silence of the library. With the location, you also changed the times since Tom's practices were switched from the afternoons to the mornings so you met after three and stayed till seven, but it slowly got later each time you met.

"You think you're ready for your exam next week?" You asked, leaning on the table.

"Yeah, I think so."

"C'mon, say it like you mean it." You teased.

Tom chuckled, "I'm just a bad test taker. I can know the material like the back of my hand, but then I walk into the room and my mind is blank."

"Yet you play in front of hundreds of people, expecting you to hit every ball thrown at you."

"And I always impress." He smirked.

"I'll have to see it to believe it."

"You'd come to one of my games?"

"I would be a bad fake girlfriend if I didn't.. So, of course." You grinned.

He appreciated your quick wit, not was a smile or nod in response awkward, but you kept up with his playful cockiness.

You two studied for another hour and you were on your third coffee of the night, fifth of the entire day. As you raised the to-go lid to your lips, Tom chuckled as he tapped his pen against his notebook.

"You know caffeine addiction is a real thing, right?"

"I like caffeine like it's oxygen." You beamed at him before taking another sip and he rolled his eyes with that perfect smile on his lips.

Before you could say anything else, your phone screen lit up as it vibrated against your papers. You furrowed your eyebrows as you picked it up, seeing it was a text from Haley.

"Had to go home because of a family emergency so don't freak if I'm not there by the time you go to bed. Love ya." She signed with a few emojis and you immediately texted your condolences back, telling her you'll call her later.

Watching you check your phone, Tom turned on his and saw the time. He didn't want to be too tired for practice tomorrow, but hanging out with you was so fun.

"Hey, I gotta get going. I can drive you home." He offered.

You nodded, "Really? Thanks."

"Anytime, babe."