epilogue - a year in the life

LATE AUGUST

It had felt like a century since the last time either of you said anything. Both of you were still sat on the parking bumper in front of the 7/11, listening to crickets and watching the few cars drive by. You turned your head to Tom again, seeing his blank stare and wondered if it was a poker face. It's like he was staring into nothing and his silence started to scare you once more and more time went by.

"I understand if you're mad.." You trailed, sucking up your pride to say something to break the silence.

Tom turned his head to you, his eyebrows unfurrowing, "I'm not mad.. I'm just.. this doesn't feel real. I just- how are you going to drop a bomb on me like that, I don't know, almost two.. three months later?"

You nodded, "I know, but I didn't think you'd want to speak to me and.. you have this whole career in front of you, Tom. Neither of us have time to.. do this, well, you. Not me.."

"You have things happening for you too, Y/N. I'm not letting you do this alone... I promise." Tom clenched his jaw, tears brimming on his waterlines.

You shrugged, "And what if it doesn't work out?"

"It will.." He quickly said. "I'd never lie to you, especially not about something like this."

You sealed your lips, tasting your salty tears that dripped over your lips, "I'm so scared.."

You felt a lump forming in your throat, trying to gulp to know you didn't have anything blocking your airway, but the air suddenly felt thick. A few tears escaped your ducts, blinking them away and trying to rub them away with your sleeve.

Tom put his arm around your shoulders, rubbing your arm and you rested your head on his shoulder, "I'm here for you.."

"We're gonna be parents.." You said in your broken tone and under your breath, almost chuckling with tears trailing down your heated cheeks. You didn't even lift your head to look at him, just looking out to the road.

"It'll be okay.." Tom trailed, leaning his head against yours and still rubbing your arm and shoulder.

SEPTEMBER

Within the month of your stomach growing bigger, you and Tom had told his parents about the pregnancy and their feelings were mixed. On one hand, they saw it as a blessing and they were having a grandchild, but on the other hand, you both were just starting your lives and they didn't want you to be held back by a baby. But, they were supportive as they could be, to say the least.

At the same time, you and Tom compromised that you moving to California with him would be the best option. Although you didn't want to, you wanted Tom to be there as he wanted to be there for you as well. You weren't dating, but with how hasty and important the pregnancy was, being in a relationship wasn't on the agenda.

With Tom making a living already and you finding work at home, you both could live financially stable while still also being roommates and parenting partners. Sometimes your hormones would make you want to pounce on Tom at any given moment, but you held it back every time you felt the urge and replaced it some kind of weird cravings.

Tom wasn't opposed to being in a relationship of course, but he didn't want to make it more confusing or put any pressure on the stress you were already under. He knew how important this was to both of you, and he was planning to provide for your child for the rest of his life.

"What are you betting for? A boy or a girl?" You asked him, both of you sitting on the couch watching some reality show.

He hummed, "I mean, living on the Holland name would be nice, but then... I would have to protect my little girl till she's fifty."