Track Two: The Girl -City and Colour

I can tell you approximately two things about Bethany Mahelona-- and those two things are more than likely just rumors. The first thing I've heard about her is that she ate a stink-bug in sixth grade during lunch, and the second is that she supposedly was spotted making out with another girl at a rager last year. I guess you could say that mouth of hers gets around, but as I glance at her dimpled smile, I can kind of see why.

    "Uh, thanks for that," I mutter begrudgingly, as I sit down on the benched seat of the ferris wheel. The closest escape from the mob of boys had been to go up-- and we were definitely rising, judging from the unfamiliar queasiness in my stomach. Maybe the ferris wheel wasn't such a romantic idea after all.

    "Yeah, no problem," Bethany chuckles, settling down across from me and wrapping her lean arms around the back of the bucket. "What's your deal, anyways, blondie?" Her tone shifts suddenly from kind to accusatory, and she raises a thick, manicured eyebrow.

    "What do you mean?" I reply, immediately taking the defensive. As the lights and sounds of the fair fall away below us I realize that Bethany had lead me from one shitty situation straight into another. Bitch. Yet, I had to admire her boldness. She laughs unabashedly, joyously throwing her head back and her long dark hair almost seems to disappear amongst the night sky.

    "Relax, I'm not gonna call you a slut or anything, but you gotta admit that you're kind of a terrible person," She says, definitely not shying away from that stinger.

    "I'm a terrible person?" I have to laugh. "You're the one who hangs out with a bunch of assholes," I continue my best to avoid looking at her. "So does that make you a terrible person, or just an asshole by association?" I ask, feeling emboldened by the banter.

    "Maybe, but I protected you," She points out, getting up from her seat to join me on my bench. The whole hanging pod sways.

    "Oh my fucking god, stop! Bethany, the fucking bucket is tipping, oh my fucking god, move the hell over--" I exclaim, my heart rate accelerating as I glance down at the swarming pavement below. Despite being hundreds of feet in the air, the ground seems just a little too close for comfort.This rusty, squeaky fair equipment truly wasn't made for fucking around.

    "Kiss me," She says, a tan hand snaking around my waist. Tiny bolts of electricity run through my stomach as she pulls me towards her. Her words reverberate through my head, but I can't seem to grasp the meaning. She holds my gaze for just a little too long before I instinctively grab the back of her head and pull her face close, her silky smooth hair all but falling between my fingers.

What the hell was I doing?

My lips hover close to hers, so close that I can feel her breath transcending across my skin. Was I really gonna take orders from this bitch?

    "C'mon, Shelby. I'll move if you do it," She whispers, taunting me. Slowly, as if we weren't about to plummet to our deaths--fuck it--I close the gap between us, pressing my lips against hers, letting my body melt into her arms.

Kissing Bethany was like having an affair with summer vacation, like a warm breeze and a strawberry peach smoothie. Like sorting through paint chips, and finding the perfect shade of yellow. Like seasalt caught in your teeth, and the smell of a campfire lingering on your favorite sweatshirt. She tastes like a sunday morning, and her skin feels like a saturday night and I never want it to end.

"There," Bethany says, pulling away. "I'll move," and I find myself disappointed when she does. I stare at her, blinking, for once in my life caught without a strategy. Completely and utterly screwed.

"So," She murmurs, "That's your deal." She folds her arms across her chest, and I'm instantly frustrated that she looks completely non-fussed by the events that just transpired. Meanwhile, I'm all too aware of the anxiety sweats that were starting to occur.