Track Thirteen: Carried Away -Passion Pit

"There ya go," Bethany whispers softly, setting down a steaming hot coffee mug in front of me, adorned with a mountain of freshly-made whipped cream and pink sprinkles. I wrap my hands around the ceramic and allow the warmth to radiate into my body.

    "Thank you," I murmur back, revelling in the smell of hazelnut.

    "Shelby, I need to apologize, too. It's been agonizing having you walking around hating me.."

    "I'm sor--"

    "--No no no, you've already said that. And it's okay. It's my turn," Bethany smiles softly, shushing me with her finger. I nearly go cross-eyed trying to follow it.

    "I want to start by talking about that day at the fair. It wasn't exactly how Quinton made it sound,"

I cringe as she mentions his name and she instantly puts a hand on my knee, and I feel myself soften.

    "So, when I told the guys I was bisexual, I had basically set myself up an onslaught of dyke-jokes, which I had been fully prepared for," She steals the cup of coffee from my hands and takes a sip, and my heart flutters as she licks the tiniest whip-cream mustache from the top of her upper lip.

    "And, well, seeing as all of them were pretty hurt over you, one of their favorite jokes had always been something along the lines of me doing to you what you do to everybody, naturally, like who doesn't love a good revenge fantasy,"

    "You don't need to explain it--"

    "--No, I do. These were my friends though, y'know? I pretty much thought you were the biggest bitch ever, as you literally ripped through them like tissue paper. But nobody ever actually dared me to kiss you. Nobody dared me to do anything, that was just Quinton trying to hurt us. And, well, I hope you know I was never really going to break your heart, I mean, that was just a stupid little joke, which I actually thought was really funny, um," She swallows.

"And I never meant to push you into anything. I'm sorry if I did. It's just that when you kissed me, I thought I suddenly understood. Y'know I thought I had you all figured out, and that I could help you through it. I wasn't actually expecting you to do it. Kiss me, that is. I guess maybe I needed a way to comprehend what had just happened, myself. Or maybe I was just sort of hoping you liked girls and--"

"Stop," I whisper, leaning in. "It's okay. You were right, anyways. I am gay. I just wasn't really sure how to admit it," I reach across the table and intertwine my fingers with hers. "And yeah, you could have been a little more sensitive about my journey to self-discovery," We share a chuckle. "But really, you did help me through it. Even if you sort've inctited it, anyways," I wink. "That's why it hurt so fucking bad when I thought it was all just a dare,"

She cringes, squeezing my hand and pressing her forehead against mine.

"Oh. But unlike you, I had full intention of breaking your heart," I smirk. She bursts out laughing, drawing more disdainful gazes from coffee-sipping patrons, before she could cover her mouth with both hands.

"Don't you fucking dare, Shelby,"

"Don't worry. I don't want to lose you again," I whisper, earning a blushing smile from the beautiful brunette.

"That's an awful lot of mush, Miss Matlin. Are you sure you're alright in the head?"

I take a moment to gaze around me, cuddled up close to the girl who ate a stink bug in sixth grade, surrounded by strangers in turtlenecks with angry, darting eyes, sopping wet from head to toe, a puddle of rainwater forming at my feet, one of many boys whose heart's I've broken looking on from behind the counter.