He lives on

Peter bounced slightly as they walked up the mountain. It was the kids first real avengers mission. He looked around. "Mr stark? This place is really creepy." He looked up at his mentor.

"I know kid but we just need to grab the stone and get out, it should be quick," Tony replied, smiling reassuringly at the kid. All they knew about Vormir was that it was extremely dangerous and that when thanos came here, he left without his daughter Gamora. Peter wanted to go, so bad, so Tony decided to go with him. So now the walk into the place called vormir, both tired from scaling the mountain.

"Peter, son of Richard, and Anthony, son of Howard" the 'red skull' guy said deeply, Floating in front of them.

"Hey, where's the stone?" Tony spoke up, standing protectively next to peter.

"One of you must die to get the stone." The thing spoke.

"Bullshit." Tony claimed. He was not about to let Peter die.

"I only speak the truth Anthony." So Tony made his way to the Cliff, peering over. He felt a hand grabbing his arm and looked at Peter.

"Please, please don't." Peter said in almost a whisper. It sent a sharp stab into his heart. Either way, he would never get to see the kid take over Stark Industries, he would never get to be there for him.

"I'm not letting you die, Pete." Tony smiled sadly at the boy, his eyes welling up with tears.

"The world needs Ironman."

"I need you alive." They we're both clinging to each other, as if one was just going to disappear. Tony pulled the boy into a hug, feeling Peter bury his head into his neck. He turned his head, kissing Peters temple and pulling away. "I'm sorry Peter." He turned, jumping off. He fell for a moment, before stopping suddenly. A web was around his waist and hands so he couldn't break it, and he was dangling there, Peter sticking to the Cliff next to him.

"I'm sorry Mr Stark, I really am, but I can't let the world live without Ironman." Peter took a shaky breath, and Tony went to talk.

"No- Peter please don't do this."

-Peters POV-

"No- peter please don't do this."

"I'm sorry Tony. This isn't your fault, tell May I love her." He somehow relaxes his body, although he was shaking from fear. He fell, watching as the image of Tony shrink. He heard a cry, and bit his tongue to stop from letting out his own. There was no way he was letting Mr Stark be left with his screams of terror. He closed his eyes, feeling the wind messing his hair up. right before he hit the ground, he looked back up at the small image of Tony and whispered. "I love you Mr Stark."

-Tony's POV-

He clutched the small glowing stone, not able to look at his hand as it simply reminded him of what he just lost.

He promised May, he promised her Peter would never be hurt.

He lied.

And now, the young boy that had the biggest chance at a future was dead, and it was his fault.

He let another tear fall into his hands, the salt stinging the small cuts on them. He sat there, crouched in the water for a while, letting himself cry. He thought back to the smiling, happy boy he had met a few months ago in his apartment, right before the civil war. He remembered how eager the kid was to help, how he snuck onto the spaceship, and almost died there. Maybe, maybe if he tried hard enough, he could get Peter back.

So he stood up, and he put his suit back on, and he appeared back in the room with everyone else, who looked happy and relaxed. Natasha noticed Tony crying first.

"Tony?" She walked over, Steve got there first, looking at Tony with a worried expression.

"I- I lost the kid." He whispered, holding back a sob as he pressed the stone into Steve's chest and walked away, unable to even stand there.

He heard Rhodey following him but ignored it. He had places to be.

He flew to queens, landing outside a familiar apartment complex. He walked inside, and hesitantly knocked on Mays door.

"Tony? Why are you here? Aren't you, saving the world or something?"

"Peters gone." He choked out. "He's the reason everyone's going to come back- I- I couldn't stop him." He cried, wincing when May gasped and sobbed. The two hugged, and they shared their grief together.

Peter, the smiling boy known as Spider-Man, would always live. Tony would make sure of that.

"He said he loved you." Tony whispered.

"He loved you too." May whispered in return.

Peter, Tony was saving the world for Peter and no one else.