Chapter 2

He nodded slowly, his eyes shining a crimson red.
  "Hey, I know you're just scared and confused. It's okay. I don't think that boy treated you right, and that's why all of this happened, isn't it?"
  The doll blinked, looking away guiltily.
  "Oh, you poor baby. It's alright, I'm here now. Everything's gonna be okay," you said, cupping his tiny hands in yours.
  His head lifted a bit, his eyes on you again, but his heart-breaking frown remained. "B-but... Andy. I have to get back to Andy. He's my best buddy," he murmured.
Your heart cracked upon hearing how desperate the doll was for friendship, despite all that had just happened between him and the boy named Andy.
"I know, honey, I know it's hard to leave a friend. A best friend, especially. But Andy hurt you. If you go back to him, he'll just hurt you over and over again. I don't want you to get hurt. You deserve to be happy and loved."
  At that moment you realized that this little robotic doll most likely had never been shown as much affection and kindness you yourself would have shown him if you had been in Andy's place. You couldn't understand how anyone could turn down the love and care this doll so obviously wanted to provide for his companion.
  His frown stretched even deeper, and he looked down miserably.
  "I just wanna be his friend," he whispered, barely loud enough for you to hear. He looked as if he were about to cry if he were able to.
  This pierced your heart even more, and with your own tears welling around your eyes, you leaned forward to pick him up and brought him to your chest, wrapping your arms around him and squeezing him tight.
  The doll froze for a moment, unsure of how to react to this foreign gesture. Slowly, he melted into your embrace and let his whirring gears come to a stop. A smile began to creep into the corners of his mouth when he felt you run your fingers through his hair lovingly. All of the thoughts of Andy and the pain he inflicted began to ebb away, and all he could focus on was the overwhelming feelings of love and attachment that surged through his coding. He suddenly felt as if he wanted to cling to you for eternity and never let go. Eventually, his eyes faded to a bright, happy blue.
  As you hugged him tight, a sudden fierce protectiveness swept over you. No one was ever going to hurt this doll again. He would be given the constant affection he rightfully deserved, and you would make sure he was happy every second of every day.
  After a few moments of silence, you stood and cradled him close like a mother would hold their baby, his small frame enveloped in the warm grasp of your hoodie sleeves.
  "It's okay, sweetheart," you cooed, your heart swelling with happiness when you saw that he was smiling. "I've got you. You don't need him anymore. I'll take care of you from now on, okay?"
He seemed to hesitate for a moment, but then as he looked up at you and saw the genuine adoration in your eyes, he nodded happily and leaned his head against your chest.
"Don't you worry about any of that Andy stuff again. From now on, I'm gonna be your new best friend."
  His smile spread wider, making you chuckle and hug him closer, planting a little kiss to his forehead. These shows of affection he had unknowingly craved for so long made him even more fond of his new owner.
  With that, you turned and exited the building, still cradling the tiny robot protectively. You were going to make sure that he received the life that he deserved.