Chapter 5

After what felt like an eternity, you were finally allowed to go home once your shift had ended. You practically flew to your car and started it up, peeling out of there.
You couldn't help but feel nervous as you parked in front of your house, getting out and sprinting to the door. You jammed the keys in the keyhole and opened the door. Almost immediately, you heard a familiar voice at your feet.
"(Y/n)!" Chucky wailed, running to latch onto your leg.
"Hey, buddy!" you cried in relief, dropping to your knees and snatching him up.
"I missed you so much," he muttered, burying his face into your shoulder.
"Aw, I missed you, too, sweetheart," you laughed weakly, heart aching at hearing how desperate he was for your return.
  Suddenly, you noticed that he had been in the same spot you had left him that morning.
  "Chucky, did you wait for me in the same spot all day?" you asked, setting the doll in your lap.
  He nodded eagerly. "I wanted to see my best b-buddy as soon as they came home!"
  You smiled warmly, touched by the lengths he went for you.
That night, Chucky refused to let go of you as you made dinner, ate, and eventually settled down on the couch to watch a movie. He stayed curled up in your arms the entire time, looking peaceful and content. It warmed your heart to see him so happy.
After finishing the movie, you began to head for your bedroom until you suddenly had to use the restroom. You set Chucky down in the middle of the hallway, which just so happened to be in front of an open closet. You told him to wait there as you went in and shut the door behind you.
To pass the time, Chucky curiously observed his surroundings. When he eventually spotted the open closet behind him, he froze.
You left me all alone. I don't like the closet.
I know, Chucky. Drop the knife.
The memories came flooding back. His lips stretched into a deep frown, and his eyes began to flicker from blue to red before settling on red. He backed away, trembling with fear. He didn't even notice when you stepped out of the bathroom behind him.
"Chucky?"
His head swiveled around to look up at you. You instantly noticed the same red eyes and horrified expression you had seen the day before.
"Hey, what's wrong?" you asked gently, getting down to his level and reaching out to him.
He flinched at the action.
"Chucky, hey, look at me," you grabbed either side of his face carefully. "It's okay. I'm here."
Slowly, he began to realize who you were again.
  Without warning, he leaned forward and clung to you, digging his little fingers into your shirt.
"P-please don't make me go in the closet. I don't like the closet," he whimpered.
Your heart plummeted. He had been put in a closet before, and it had terrified him so badly that it left a permanent scar in his memories.
"Oh, baby, c'mere," you swiftly took him into your arms and gathered him to your chest, gently rocking him back and forth like a frightened child. "Sssshhhh, it's okay, it's okay. I'm not gonna put you in the closet, okay? I promise. No more closets."
You kissed his head, murmuring reassuring words to him. Your embrace caused the fear to slowly drain from him as his eyes began to fade to blue again. His trembling reduced until he was still once more, and his frown lifted into a small smile.
  After a moment, you pulled back and looked him in the eye. You were relieved when you saw that he was smiling once more.
  "There's my smile," you chuckled, hugging him tight again.
You stood and took him to bed with you, slipping under the covers and holding him protectively. He happily nuzzled against you under your chin. And just like the night before, Chucky quietly sang the buddi song to you as an expression of gratitude.