Author's Note: Kate as a Character

Hi readers! I hope you guys enjoyed that last chapter ending. I will be honest that was not going to actually happen in that chapter originally,  but it kind of came organically to me as I was writing it so I hope it felt right to you guys as readers.

I just wanted to address something I have noticed in this story myself. So, I feel that sometimes Kate is a confusing/not always the most likable character. Kate is hard to write because she often feels like two separate characters, the loving and joyful Kerttu and the hardened and guarded Kate. However, it is my hope as a writer that her experiences and backstory make this characterization understandable and even something we can sympathize with. Kate is very confused herself about who she is and where she is going in the world, and she is very bitter and angry at the world. However, even though she may not always show it, she remembers and feels like her old self when she is with Johnny, and to her, he is the only one who understands this complex identity crisis she is having.

Anyway, I just wanted to write this to stand up for Kate a bit and help clear up some potential misperception. Kate's characterization and backstory is heavily influenced by the character of Anya from the musical and movie Anastasia, and I have attached a link to one of my favorite songs from the musical that I think complements Kate's feelings and journey well. The song is sung by the amazing Christy Altomare who played Anya in the Broadway production!