France and a Chance

Kate, Connor, Johnny, and General Leger stayed at Kota's house for several days before anyone really started talking about why they were there. Kota's wife, Leah, had done her best to find room for everyone and to make them as comfortable as possible.

"This house once held a family of seven," Leah had said one day, while she, for the hundredth or so time, was straightening and cleaning the already spotless living room.

All of the travelers were happy to finally settle down for a bit and be in a real home, but no one enjoyed it as much as Kate. Johnny and Connor had always had each other, and General Leger had not lost faith that his missing wife would one day return to him. Kate, on the other hand, had had no one for years and had thought up until very recently that she was alone in the world. At this small home, she had not only found her great-uncle and aunt, but she had started to realize how you can find your own family. General Leger was starting to feel more and more like an uncle himself to her. Connor had become an obnoxious but protective big brother. 

Johnny, on the other hand, certainly had not become like a brother to her. If he had been, it was only for a brief amount of time. Kate was not entirely sure who exactly Johnny was to her, and she always put thoughts of him to the back of her mind in a place where she could ignore them. It was all too confusing when she had more important and pressing things to think about.

Those pressing things finally came after several days when General Leger called all of them into the kitchen for a so-called "group meeting."

"It is not safe for us to stay here much longer, especially with Ker-Kate," General Leger said, clearing his throat. "We need to make a plan on how we are going to get out of Illéa on a plane and eventually get to France."

"I have been thinking about that myself," Kota said, adjusting his spectacles. "I think I have a plan..."

"Go on," General Leger said, nodding to him.

"I have a shipment of some recent commissions schedule to be sent to France in just three days out of the regional airport in Carolina. I am one of the few people who can send things out of the country without a special Passport as a result of my supposed loyalty to the crown," Kota said, glancing around at all of them and placing emphasis on the word "supposed."

"How does France allow you to send things to them?" Johnny asked. "I thought the king and queen barred all trading and relations with Illéa after Marid took power."

"They did, for the most part," Kota said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. "A few of us who ship goods abroad have found a way around the rule. The agent I sell  through in France is Italian, and the goods I ship are technically sold through Italy. The plane I am sending the next shipment, and hopefully all of you, out on is an Italian private plane. Italy has acted as a sort of liaison between France and Illéa for limited trade and commerce."

Johnny nodded, mostly satisfied by this answer, and General Leger spoke up.

"I will go with Kate," General Leger said. "I think it is best if Connor and Johnny stay behind, it is too risky."

"No!" Johnny snapped, suddenly standing up. He breathed in and composed himself before sitting back down and continuing. "We have been with Kate since the beginning of this journey, we are going to see her through to the end of it. Connor and I are coming."

"It is out of the question and far too dangerous," General Leger said, shaking his head. "The more people we have being smuggled out of the country, the more dangerous it will be."

"I'm not leaving her," Johnny responded adamantly.

"General Leger, when it is about Kate, he is not going to back down," Connor said, deadpan. Kate flushed, but Johnny ignored him looking straight at General Leger and Kota.