Chapter 9

Apollo POV

     Sleep never came to welcome me in it's grasps and instead I stared blankly ahead until a sudden stirring beside me alerted me of the presence of the Sun. I looked to my side to see Percy slowly lift his eyelids and sit up from his position on my shoulder, a hearty yawn escaping his mouth. Nico woke shortly after, the bags under his eyes present as always. The sadness at losing Reyna was evident in all of our motions, even though I was just getting to know her. We sluggishly packed up the little materials we had for camping and began to travel further into the island.

     Percy and I took rank at the ends of the line, our desire to protect Nico guiding our actions. I couldn't help but feel as though Nico was one of my own and I finally understood why Percy was so close to him. 

     As we journeyed further and further into the island, I could feel apprehension rising among our group. Every shadow seemed to chase us on our trip and the dense brush seemed to cling to our clothes like desperate souls of the Underworld. We grouped ourselves tighter as if to ward off any evil entities that were waiting in the lengthening shadows of the trees. Eventually we came across a cave that seemed to be the source of our rising anxieties. A single torch revealed a small passageway that descended into intense darkness. I held my hand out to stop the other two and they came to stand on either side of me.

"Well, guess we have to go in," said Nico. I nodded my head, knowing that heading towards the most danger was inevitable in quests. Percy hesitantly stepped towards the cave, a look on his face of pure concentration. 

"Do you guys hear that?" Percy asked. "I think I can hear people talking." 

     Nico and I exchanged confused looks. 

"Percy we don't hear anything," I said , concerned. He took a couple more steps towards the entrance of the cave and Nico and I moved to follow.

     He had almost entered the cave when I caught up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder to break him out of his trance-like state. He looked at me as though he was confused, but he quickly snapped back to reality. I left my hand on his shoulder and it seemed like he wanted to say something, but Nico interrupted the moment.

"I guess we should go ahead and go in, no sense in stalling."

     I led the way, holding a makeshift torch we made out of a piece of wood and some cloth. We journeyed further and further into the tunnel. At one point, it became so small that even Nico was hunched over trying to walk through. As we walked further into the depths of the darkness, Percy began to seem more and more distracted. His movements became robotic and his eyes glazed over as if in a trance.

"Percy, are you okay," I asked him once we had stopped for a moment to breathe in the cramped tunnel. He seemed to regain consciousness for a moment.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just keep hearing this singing. Are you sure you guys can't hear it?"

     Again, Nico and I exchanged confused glances and Percy's head turned in the direction we were traveling.

"It's beautiful. I think someone's calling me." (I just realized that this is eerily similar to Frozen 2 and I thoroughly apologize people but it'll all make sense momentarily.)

     Suddenly, Percy sprung to his feet and began to dash in the direction of deep darkness. Nico and I began to follow him, shouting for him to stop, but to no avail. As we ran, I noticed the darkness began to lighten and we eventually stumbled into a brightly lit cavern. Breathlessly, Nico and I watched as Percy began to approach a woman who stood on a golden dais. Her Grecian white dress softly caressed the floor and her wavy brown hair sparkled under the lights of the cavern. 

     Percy came to a stop just before the dais and she stepped down to caress his cheek lovingly.

"My poor soul, you've been deprived of your memories, but do not worry you will soon receive what's rightfully yours."

     Her voice flowed like silk and her eyes held pity towards Percy which quickly morphed into anger when she looked my way.

"How dare you make a deal with that dreadful creator to rid this hero of his memories and for your own selfish reasons no less."

"Apollo what is she talking about," asked Nico suspiciously.

"Mnemosyne, you have to hear me out. It was either him lose his memories or him lose his life, you have to understand," I said pleadingly. Her eyes still held anger, but pity soon overtook her the fire in her eyes.

"I understand Apollo, but you must amend your choices for this hero does not deserve the fate you have bestowed upon him."

"I know, but there's nothing I can do now. I can't just undo my decision."

"No, you can't, but I can."

"Wait, hold up. What's going on," Nico asked exasperatedly.

     Mnemosyne aimed a brightly colored beam at Nico and he shut his eyes before snapping them open again. He stumbled backwards and looked at me angrily.

"I'm guessing you just gave him his memories back," I said and Mnemosyne nodded. 

"As I was saying, I can restore his memories, but you must prove your worthiness by defeating one of my daughters in a competition of my choosing."

"I'll do anything to get his memories back," I stated with determination.

"Well then, let's get started."

Hey guys, so I know it's been way too long, but lately writing has just felt like a chore. I've been taking a creative writing course and working way too much so I've kind of put this story on the back burner of my mind. However, that doesn't mean that I'm going to end this story unexpectedly like so many authors do. I hate the feeling when you read a really nice story and it has no ending because the author gave up on it and I know that a few of you enjoy this story for whatever reason and I'm grateful. That being said, I hope to get the next chapter up very soon and I'm sad to say that this story is almost over, but I will not disappoint (hopefully) with the ending I have planned and yes, it will be a happy ending.

Thank you to everyone that has stuck by this mess of a story and I'm sorry that I couldn't update sooner despite those who have begged me to. I hope this chapter does not disappoint and I hope that you enjoy reading this burst of inspiration that overtook me.

As always have a nice day, month, year, etc. and I'll see you in the next update.

~Emily