Chapter Twenty: Looming Sentiment

My arms outstretched towards the top shelf of my closet, desperately trying to detect the blue shoe box my mom arranged for when I left home

My arms outstretched towards the top shelf of my closet, desperately trying to detect the blue shoe box my mom arranged for when I left home. My hopes simmered to a low as the annoyance and frustration began to build in my blood. Where the hell could I have possibly put them? The birthday present I was trying to compile included some hilarious, candid photos of Luke and I, easily fitting into the various frames I bought, though, I couldn't finish them without a picture.

I retracted my arms and allowed them to fall to my side with a hopeless sigh, my eyebrows furrowing together in complete confusion. My thoughts recalled to when I was moving everything out of Will's house, trying to remember the distinct moment I placed them in his truck. However, the moment never surfaced and I was left with my frail fingers tapping on my chin.

Did I ever grab them?

This thought arose this unsettling pit in my stomach as Will and I weren't exactly on the high road right now. The last we spoke was a week ago at the dinner, his emotions very much directed in an unpleasant manner. But I was ruthless at this point, in pure desperation to pull together this gift.

Luke's bare walls always bothered me and I had this idea awhile back when I was staying there, inputting this backlighted reminder to gather some photos for his wall. I guess the thought of the shoebox and it's placement never really came to light. But now that i'm sitting here thinking about it, it was most definitely in the hall closet of his home.

Hence the reason I drug my feet towards my room, detecting my phone hanging on the charger with the apprehension very much in my motions. Slowly, I cradled it in my hands, rolling my lips into my mouth and clicking on his contact info. My finger hovered over the call button when I caught the time, aware he had been off of work for a little over an hour.

Jack had been busy with some family things at this moment, and I was sure he had some trust in me, especially since all I was doing was collecting my pictures. He wouldn't mind, just as long as Will hadn't tried anything on me; I could handle myself.

The line rang twice before his deep voice emitted from my speaker into my ear, "Hello?" I bit deeply into my lip, debating on whether or not I should hang up and forget about it. Luke wouldn't be too upset over a gift card, right?

After a moment, I swallowed my hesitation and cleared my throat, "Hey, it's Adaline. I think I left my shoebox with all my pictures in the hall closet. Could I swing by and pick them up really quick?"

"Yeah, I'm home," He responded rather nonchalant, seemingly comforting me a little. I nodded although it was blind to his eyes, flickering my eyes to the ground. It really wasn't as big of a deal as I was playing it out to be.

"I'll be there in ten." I daintily informed before cutting the call and sliding the phone into the side of my leggings. My mind lingered in his awfully careless tone, knowing he was always on edge whenever we communicated. Maybe he finally got the hint?